Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorn Ape View Post
    Sounds like you are trying to talk us into telling you yea or nay.......nay....trust me, you don't want it like the rest of us do. It's also very unlikely that you will get a great job near your home right outta line school... I have been on that hunt for two years since line school..( the great job part, because the close to home part ain't realistic)....I work for a contractor now with mid range pay and **** training... And i still love it..I WANNA BE A LINEMAN! Lol .........just like a million other future lineman
    I can only speak about what Im seeing..........and that is around these parts in the south........not just linework.........but getting any skilled job around home isnt going to happen unless your plain lucky,with this poor economic situation...........there are jobs,good ones at that...........but your going to have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere or far from your home to get them..........lots of these involve places where it is booming.......where companies are drilling..........such as N.Dakota..williston,i believe..........another is the Eagle Ford Shale Deposit located in several states in the south............people that live there welcome new-comers.........but when you have all these guys coming in from all over the country your going to have certain problems..........theft,drugs,prostitution,ect.... .that is the big drawback.........but your right BigHorn.........you might have to hit the road to get ahead........this is where the younger guy might have the advantage.......us older guys are kind of set...........if I were young again,Id go into the armed forces..........that was the best choice Ive ever made when I was younger.........Id do it again...........but even that isnt close to home.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorn Ape View Post
    Sounds like you are trying to talk us into telling you yea or nay.......nay....trust me, you don't want it like the rest of us do. It's also very unlikely that you will get a great job near your home right outta line school... I have been on that hunt for two years since line school..( the great job part, because the close to home part ain't realistic)....I work for a contractor now with mid range pay and **** training... And i still love it..I WANNA BE A LINEMAN! Lol .........just like a million other future lineman
    i wasnt really trying to talk you into anything. for some reason i thought you guys would be willing to "help a brotha out". but i understand, im like the young guy who isnt interested in lineman work, taking a job someone who was dedicated could have had. i mean im still undecided about if i should go for it or not. but ill admit you saying you werent able to get a job fairly quick after school was kind of...a put down. expecially when i talked to a guy who got a job at PG& E doing that type of work. mabye he had a buddy who worked there and helped him out i guess.. and for the record i dont care about being close to home as long as im not in a different country.

Default most of us.

Most of us are linesmen "first" and every thing else has to work around that.
    Think of it as life style choice. Dificult to understand untill you are in the game aa while.

I'm doing it over 30 years. I'm working away from home most of the time. BUT I'm a linesman first and every thing else has got to take secound place.

Its a question of prioritys for me.... I love my job. And make sacrafices to keep doing it.

But I wish ya every sucess in your choice....
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Thumbs down Don't waste the "TIME"

I would say that you should save yourself and the guys you would be working with a lot of grief by not pursuing a career as a Lineman. Linework takes hard work and dedication,not a Half-ass commitment. Very likely you would get Killed ,seriuosly injured or get your fellow workers kilied/injured. Old Retired Lineman
    Grumpy

Ummmmmmm maybe you dont realize that a true lineman is a Lineman first and foremost, Its a title he worked very hard to earn and will never think of himself as anything other than a lineman. He may befcome unemployed and be forced to do something other than linework but He will be the very first to tell you he is a lineman. Its more than a job description its a brotherhood!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    I would say that you should save yourself and the guys you would be working with a lot of grief by not pursuing a career as a Lineman. Linework takes hard work and dedication,not a Half-ass commitment. Very likely you would get Killed ,seriuosly injured or get your fellow workers kilied/injured. Old Retired Lineman
    dude i got a question. how am i going to injure or kill somone because i dont have dedication? if i injure or kill some one, wouldnt it be because im not paying atention?? and wouldnt not wanting to die be enough dedication? lol

Ignorance is bliss.... you should just work on being an xray tech and go to school for that... it would be best for you.

I have close to 20 yrs in the education field. In my humble opinion, you are better off going with your first dream/goal. Most jobs, not just linework, want to know you are in the career you are dedicated to and that you are seriously wanting to go into their field for the long haul. They are not wanting to invest in someone that is not serious.

Just seems like it wouldn't be a good investment for you either in my opinion. Why waste your money on being trained for something you have no intention in spending your working career doing?

Default couldnt have said it better

Quote Originally Posted by wantafastz28 View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.... you should just work on being an xray tech and go to school for that... it would be best for you.
    Ill agree with you wantafastz28..............it would be best for him..........and also the best interest of the trade we call linework.

Default ricky dont lose that number

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by RRRamirez View Post
    dude i got a question. how am i going to injure or kill somone because i dont have dedication? if i injure or kill some one, wouldnt it be because im not paying atention?? and wouldnt not wanting to die be enough dedication? lol
    If you dont have any dedication,that would imply that you may not listen.........that kind of stuff will get you killed on the job.......................there is a story called Ricky dont lose that #.........he was told countless of times not to walk underneath a pole that was being lifted before being set...............he continued to walk that path..............which meant he wasnt listening or he was plain ole stupid...............you can take that guess.