Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Heres one of the questions in my workbook?

In a DC circuit, the current is inversely proportional to the voltage and directly proportional to the resistance.

True

False

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    Are you struggling with the book part of the trade or learning the actual work? When I did my apprenticeship they where not pushing the knowledge they want you to learn in the classroom of today. Hopefully some of the younger lineman on this board will be able to answer your question. As far as the physical aspect of this trade I grew up on farm and by the time I was 14 I was working along side of my Dad daily, the equipment in line work was easy for me to run also from coming off of a farm. I don’t believe anyone was born a natural lineman, but the funny part is I still open up my books when I want to research something. Of course when I am in a lazy mood I will ask an apprentice to find the answer I am looking for, even if I already know it.
    The physical work isnt my problem i didnt grow up on a farm but have been doing masonry work and carpentry work with my dad since i was a little kid and i love running equipment, got my class A and NCCCO crane cert for fixed cab and swing cab and always volunteer to run anything when im on the ground. My problem i guess is translating what we learn in class and using it in the field or on the job and was wondering if anybody else had that problem. I have good grades in class but thats probably due to just searching for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by apprenticelineman View Post

In a DC circuit, the current is inversely proportional to the voltage and directly proportional to the resistance.

True

False
    Let's see, P=V*I = I^2*R = I*I*R therefore V=I*R so:

I=V/R

which means:

as voltage increases, Current increases (ie. 3/4=0.75 which is greater than 2/4=0.5), and
    as resistance increases, current decreases (ie. 2/4=0.5 which is greater than 2/8=0.25).

This makes current proportional to voltage, and inversely proportional to resistance.

...I think, from what I remember from high school physics.

So your answer would be false.

Someone feel free to prove me wrong though.
    Last edited by 94_sahara; 01-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    A trade not properly learned is an enemy.

True

False
    The answer is false..... current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

Its a play on olms law and trying to trip you up by mixing up words.

A Series Circuit has a current I = 10ma flowing through a resistor R1 = 5K olms What is the voltage of the Voltage Source Vs ?
    Using Ohm's Law:
    V = I x R

We can substitute the values for the current I and the resistance R1 in the above equation.
    V = 10 mA x 5 Kohms = 50 Volts

Notice if you increase the resistance you will see a decrease in current... or if

You decrease resistance you will see an increase in current.

Hey keep those questions comming.

Quote Originally Posted by 94_sahara View Post
    Let's see, P=V*I = I^2*R = I*I*R therefore V=I*R so:

I=V/R

which means:

as voltage increases, Current increases (ie. 3/4=0.75 which is greater than 2/4=0.5), and
    as resistance increases, current decreases (ie. 2/4=0.5 which is greater than 2/8=0.25).

This makes current proportional to voltage, and inversely proportional to resistance.

...I think, from what I remember from high school physics.

So your answer would be false.

Someone feel free to prove me wrong though.
    Hey, nice job sahara! we'll get this guy through this!

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    Hey, nice job sahara! we'll get this guy through this!
    Thanks, and definitely, keep em coming, this is good practice for me too. BC Hydro just posted their openings for this years apprentices here so hopefully I'll be putting this stuff to good use soon

8. Default

In order to measure current, the __?__ must be placed in series with the component for which the current is to be measured.

9. Default

In a series circuit, the total voltage dropped across all of the loads is equal to the __?__

Featured Sponsorr

In order to measure current, the __?__ must be placed in series with the component for which the current is to be measured.
    Well I'd like to say multimeter, but that's a household term i think, so my final answer is ammeter.

In a series circuit, the total voltage dropped across all of the loads is equal to the __?__
    Hmm can't recall my voltage drop stuff, gonna need some help on this one. (back EMF?)
    Last edited by 94_sahara; 01-21-2012 at 11:21 PM.