Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sleeves again

Featured Sponsor

Since 1972...in a heartbeat..that bad ..huh?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    [B] I've worn sleeves since 1972, I'd hang em up in a heartbeat.
    Seriously?

I started Linework in 1969 and never EVEN knew "Sleeves" existed! I seriously feel sorry for ya....actually wearin em that long.

Really Labor...that blows me away! I was glovin 2400 delta Off the pole in 69 with leather gloves.

And You've worn "Sleeves"...Rubber Sleeves, doin Linework...since 1972?

I'm either seriously impressed...or callin Bull****. Can't figure out witch......
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Seriously?

I started Linework in 1969 and never EVEN knew "Sleeves" existed! I seriously feel sorry for ya....actually wearin em that long.

Really Labor...that blows me away! I was glovin 2400 delta Off the pole in 69 with leather gloves.

And You've worn "Sleeves"...Rubber Sleeves, doin Linework...since 1972?

I'm either seriously impressed...or callin Bull****. Can't figure out witch......
    In 1968 the Union & Co, negotiated what was called the "I&I" concept. We all know what that stands for now...... The implementation was over the course of a few years, when I got here there was only one line shop left gloving 2400 of the pole with only gloves, all other shops were wearing sleeves in the primaries and working off boards or out of buckets. There were a lot less buckets back then.....
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Talking To Old Line Dog

I started in the trade in 1978 and the linemen there had been wearing sleeves for a number of years. The first time I saw a lineman working without sleeves was in 1982 in North Carolina.

I started in 1983 as a helper...went on to apprentice,Jy,lead....the first time I wore sleeves was in 2006,and that was in another State....They are a pain in the a$$ when your working in Flordia during July and August.I guess if you came up using them,its fine.

Started in 1970 rubber gloves up to 5kv sticks above that there were some sleeves around if you felt the need, never saw them worn. UI the utility downstate wore them most all the time. Back about 1990 Co. and state changed rules allowing rubber gloving up to 23kv mandatory gloves/sleeves only out of tested clean bucket, late 1990's had to have at least one complete layer of FR when within work zone, In the last 5 or 6 years arc flash rules have changed more layers, if the arc flash is above certain limits have to use sticks. The only time its just FR and gloves if just secondarys on pole.

The more I read the more amazed I am at the BS that lineman in different parts of the country have to go through to do linework.

No rubber sleeves in this neck of the woods, although I have had the unfortunate task of wearing them in Connecticut, company rules , no exception even on dead and grounded line. Quite the load of garbage. But then again the foreman didn't understand point of work grounding and neither did the company. Needless to say I'll probably never work for them again

I guess once sleeves are the rule....it remains the rule....Is there any safety related equipment that once was the rule...and no longer is the rule....Im sure there is, but Id have to think about that one.

Featured Sponsorr

Had the pleasure of wearing gloves and sleeves for a while...

Been with a utility now 6 years and we just wear rubber gloves
    I don't miss sleeves one bit

We went to cheap as u can get fr 4 years ago then they finally figured out if they want us to
    Wear fr then to buy some better fr now we have carhart pants,button shirts,bibs,jackets,hoddies and thin coveralls for some that like them too..... We also have the bulwark longsleeve tees man those are really nice in the hot humid months of the year!!!!

Needless to say they are no more gripes about uniforms
    Just alot of other stuff