Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

That actually helped the wording is what was confusing me thanks grove and everyone else

Ok this should be an easy one for you, so I'm not gonna spoon feed the answers to you... lets break it down . Measure current.... what kind of devise do we use to measure current.

what unit of measure do we use for current?

Do we know the difference between series and parrallel?

We know the answer is two words... something, something
    C'mon bro you can get this one.

Quote Originally Posted by apprenticelineman View Post
    In a series circuit, the total voltage dropped across all of the loads is equal to the __?__
    Ok this one is getting into the meat and potatoes.

In a series circuit if you took a voltage meter and measured across each resistor you would see a difference in potential or what we call voltage or in this case voltage drop ... if you added up the voltage across each resistor wouldn't you get the total voltage or in this case the term would be ...........supply voltage.

To make things easy, lets say you had a 12 volt battery and 4 led light bulbs wired in series. if we took a volt meter and measured across each led and read 3 volts... wouldn't it make sence that if we added up 3 volts times four we would get 12 volts.... or our supply voltage?

C'mon Bro.... Its a perfect day to hit the books. Don't quit on me now!

If the applied voltage Vs is 85 Volts and R1 = 9K olms , solve for the circuit current:
    • a. 10 A
    • b. 765 KA
    • c. 9.44 mA
    • d. 106 A

Just a little side note.... notice how the flow of electrons in this simple DC circuit is from the negative side of the battery and it flows through the resistor and ends up on the positive side of the battery. The negative side is called the cathode and the positive side is called the anode. current flow is just the oppisite of electron flow

uh oh ... looks like someone skipped class today.

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    If the applied voltage Vs is 85 Volts and R1 = 9K olms , solve for the circuit current:
    I=Vs/R1

I=??
    Vs=85 Volts
    R1=9000 Ohms

I=85/9000=0.00944 -or- 9.44mA
    Last edited by 94_sahara; 01-22-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    A trade not properly learned is an enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by 94_sahara View Post
    I=Vs/R1

I=??
    Vs=85 Volts
    R1=9000 Ohms

I=85/9000=0.00944 -or- 9.44mA
    you are correct again sahara.

I'm a little worried about apprentice though....to get through this stuff you gotta have a firm grasp on olms law. this stuff is like a foundation to build on.

unless you make up your mind to go all in you'll never achieve sucsess. Its pretty clear that you learned this stuff perfectly sahara.

Default Apprenticelineman

My best advice if you don't understand something would be to never say to yourself "I don't get this," instead say "I will get this." And like you're doing here, ask questions. Sometimes one person will explain something one way and it won't make a lick of sense, but then somebody else puts a different spin on it and it's clear as glass. If you don't understand something one way, keep looking.

Here's a good website for explaining electrical theory, the link is to a page about ohm's law:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/ohm_law.html
    A trade not properly learned is an enemy.

Featured Sponsorr

I forget a lot of that stuff. Sure I can tell you that voltage is the force of electrons and current is the flow of electrons and I=current; E=voltage; P=watts the difference between a series and parallel circuit.

I can also wire a single phase 120/240 house transformer.

BUT really? Puke

Your killing me!