Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by heelwinch View Post
    Who said anything about offshore... soft one???

I'm all for Nuke power.. let it reign. They are trying to get someone to build one now, very near the Robert Moses power damn in the "north Counrty" of NY.Robert Moses power damn is ne of the largest producers of hydro power in the US why not add a little nuke energy in to the mix.
    Bring it, I'll be dead before it ever goes on line so what the hell do I care.

We can't drill on our soil because the polar bears are going to die... and according to all the " global warming " jack asses, they are going to die any ways... so what is the fukkin problem.

You don't need to cut and paste any more of your liberal "drivel', just give me a friggin answer that doesn't circumvent the question.

Use your head for something besides a bucksqueeze rack.
    I'm all for nuke power as well, we are agreed on that.

I am simply saying this mantra of more domestic drilling sounds nice, but the reality is
    1. We do not have the capacity to meet the needs. Both in the amount of recoverable oil and in the logistics (equipment and labor) in doing so.
    2. We have other resources that are equally, if not more valuable, than the oil and would be unnecesarily damaged in the efforts to achieve said fallacy.
    3. Oil companies have not fully taken advantage of the domestic drilling already afforded them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer gone soft View Post
    I'm all for nuke power as well, we are agreed on that.

I am simply saying this mantra of more domestic drilling sounds nice, but the reality is
    1. We do not have the capacity to meet the needs. Both in the amount of recoverable oil and in the logistics (equipment and labor) in doing so.
    2. We have other resources that are equally, if not more valuable, than the oil and would be unnecesarily damaged in the efforts to achieve said fallacy.
    3. Oil companies have not fully taken advantage of the domestic drilling already afforded them.
    All I can say to that is... Bull Shit.

There is more oil in Alaska than we could consume in Fifty years at the current rate without any imports. That is a fact.
    That is in ONE state of fifty and not counting any of our off shore leads.

There is more Natural Gas in NY state then they could POSIIBLY extract in the next 20 years... we are just not allowed to get it... Just plain down right, left handed shenanegans... Call it what you want, the truth is out there if you open your eyes and do the research, course you'd have to turn NPR off for an hour or two every day to figure it out.

If you want some good reading on NYS Natural Gas resources just google the Marcellus Shale...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer gone soft View Post
    As one who likes to tell everybody what he tells his apprentices, here's one I like: Read first, ask questions second.

If you haven't obviously taken the time to read the article, how can you honestly expect me to take the time to answer your questions?

"Do you expect me to do my job and yours?"
    Good one, ya got me with my own words....Bwa,ha,ah,ha,ha.
    You're right, I didn't read it, but now I have. But I read something odd. This is the quote..........................
    But here's the catch: There is a chance that the MMS has miscalculated the amount of offshore oil, because its estimates are based on 30- to 40-year-old data. For example, MMS spokesperson Nicholas Pardi says a 1987 survey of the Gulf of Mexico indicated there was potentially nine billion barrels of oil there, but when the area was resurveyed nine years later (using newer technologies), the number jumped to potential 45 billion barrels.
    That looks to me that there may be 500% or more oil out there than thought. Huh.................here's a list of oil reserves by country....
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/en...y-oil-reserves
    So, if we add that 45 billion barrels, that would put us around #7.
    But let's forget offshore, cause all that is is a political 3 card monty. Enviromentalist you know. Let's go onshore....here's an interesting article....
    Remember the last time oil prices spiked and everybody said drill baby drill. The powers to be said it would take 2-3 years to get any oil production. Guess how long ago that was 2-3 years ago!!!!!!!!!
    We have know this for years but, here's an astonishing read. Important and verifiable information. About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more than all the Middle East put together." Please read below.
    The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and extreme eastern Montana ..... check THIS out:
    The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay , and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5...3 trillion.
    "When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst.
    This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years," reportsThe Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a formation known as the Williston Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana , through North Dakota and into Canada . For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves..... and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL.That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from 2006!

U.. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World
    Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth.. Here are the official estimates:
    8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia
    18-times as much oil as Iraq
    21-times as much oil as Kuwait
    22-times as much oil as Iran
    500-times as much oil as Yemen
    and it's all right here in the Western United States .
    HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?
    James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post.
    Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?
    I can give you the links, but they are from the US Govt., boring......

Huh..........funny, but not only do I live in the bread basket of the world, I also live in an oil rich county, the top 5 oil producers in the US. Now what do you want to talk about...directional drilling? How about steam injection? Let's go with steam injection. I have a little personal knowledge, my friends father was one of the inventors, very interesting guy to talk with. Most of the oil here is "Heavy" crude,they were having some problems getting out of the ground, so a few great thinkers dicided to inject steam in the well to loosen the oil. By golly, it worked. That raised production tremendously. There was only 1 problem......the steam had to be released after it did it's job, into the atmosphere. These same guys saw that it was wasting water, and wala...they decided to use that excess steam to run electric generators and supply their own oil fields with electricity........thus the co-gen. Most of the oil companies here are off the grid and supply their own electricity, and sell the excess into the grid.......interesting. Who would have thunk that drilling and electricity had anything in common.

Your right, I didn't read your link, but we need to drill, period. Because of enviromentalists, you are paying at the pump, that's the facts. Now what do you want to talk about, the US Govt. Statigic Oil Reserves, cause I also have info and input on that one also.
    Boomer, I asked a serious question, no patronizing, and got a bunch of sh!t.
    I don't take it personal, but I will never put up with bullsh!t.
    Last edited by barehander; 03-21-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Hell of a post dude...put, much more intelligently, and comprehensably, than I could have. I just don't have the patience, to talk with complete Idiots.
    Thanks, unfortunately, facts are not always used on this site. Just a bunch of parrots and BS......I was about to leave here but instead, decided to call bullsh!t when I saw it. I can kill any thread here with facts, and that's true. I can't wait for a response...................

Quote Originally Posted by barehander View Post
    Good one, ya got me with my own words....Bwa,ha,ah,ha,ha.
    You're right, I didn't read it, but now I have. But I read something odd. This is the quote..........................

That looks to me that there may be 500% or more oil out there than thought. Huh.................here's a list of oil reserves by country....
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/en...y-oil-reserves
    So, if we add that 45 billion barrels, that would put us around #7.
    But let's forget offshore, cause all that is is a political 3 card monty. Enviromentalist you know. Let's go onshore....here's an interesting article....

I can give you the links, but they are from the US Govt., boring......

Huh..........funny, but not only do I live in the bread basket of the world, I also live in an oil rich county, the top 5 oil producers in the US. Now what do you want to talk about...directional drilling? How about steam injection? Let's go with steam injection. I have a little personal knowledge, my friends father was one of the inventors, very interesting guy to talk with. Most of the oil here is "Heavy" crude,they were having some problems getting out of the ground, so a few great thinkers dicided to inject steam in the well to loosen the oil. By golly, it worked. That raised production tremendously. There was only 1 problem......the steam had to be released after it did it's job, into the atmosphere. These same guys saw that it was wasting water, and wala...they decided to use that excess steam to run electric generators and supply their own oil fields with electricity........thus the co-gen. Most of the oil companies here are off the grid and supply their own electricity, and sell the excess into the grid.......interesting. Who would have thunk that drilling and electricity had anything in common.

Your right, I didn't read your link, but we need to drill, period. Because of enviromentalists, you are paying at the pump, that's the facts. Now what do you want to talk about, the US Govt. Statigic Oil Reserves, cause I also have info and input on that one also.
    Boomer, I asked a serious question, no patronizing, and got a bunch of sh!t.
    I don't take it personal, but I will never put up with bullsh!t.
    I am glad you caught the humor in my little poke!

I don't really have strong feelings about this.....I just like to be contrary to Swamp and Heel.

There is an alternative theory of oil genesis called abiotic oil genesis that I was introduced to a few months ago. The Russians have had tremendous luck finding deep oil reserves using this theory. The summary is that oil is formed by natural non-biological processes deep within the Earth and not from ancient life forms. It could vastly change our estimates about how much oil there really is.
    http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1130.html

At any rate, it doesn't matter how much oil is left or how many reserves there are. It is all about maximizing profits. Blaming the environmentalists is simply a red herring. The true villains, in my opinion, are the oil companies themselves.
    Last edited by Boomer gone soft; 03-22-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Default Well.

To me it just depends on what source you read regarding oil reserves etc. I think you can get many different estimates of the amounts of reserves there are.

It sometimes reminds me of the Titanic. They swore they had built an unsinkable ship until it hit the iceberg.

I hope there are long lasting energy reserves but in the back of everybodies mind there is a little doubt. Everything has a tradeoff.

Every civilization has a dominant country for awhile. The Romans, the French, the Brits and so on. You have to believe that China will have their day.

We'll see I guess.

Default Cl

I'm just suprised that there hasn't been a whole pile of folks blame Bush. Or at least Cheney.

Quote Originally Posted by barehander View Post
    In the history of Nuke plants in the US, there has not been one death in the US from a Nuke plant............................................. ............................
    Having said that, I need to tell you about one of ours that CL listed, Diablo Canyon, Avila Beach, Ca. A very beautiful place on this planet, always sunny.
    When the Co. came out about this plant in the 70's, the enviro nuts protested every day, including many celebrities, cause they lived around there, expensive and exclusive area. Well, the Co. got approval to go ahead with construction in spite of the protests. Well, the construction starts, and lo and behold, it's being built on a known eathquake fault. Holy crap, now the protests escalate. Many protesters are arrested, on and on. Then......after all of that, the Co. admits that in building the first reactor, they had been looking at the construction prints upside down. Holy crap doubled.......I have been in that plant many times since it has been built, sometimes I've felt that you could get into the White House before you could get into Diablo. And when you do get in, the guards tend to point M-16s in your direction at all times. If you have never been inside, or outside of a Nuke plant, you haven't lived. It's very interesting. I remember the first time I ever went there. The Co. was re-siding the generator building, pre 9/11. The drive from the entance to the plant is about 7mi. When you got to the plant, you may or may not have been searched. I was sent there to operate our 150' Conder to help the Metal workers hang the siding. I remember that we needed to move the truck 3' and told my fellow workers to do so. They told me that we needed to call a guard to unlock the chain attached from the steering wheel, and the break pedal, they had the key, and the keys to the truck. They did come, and when they unlocked it, they pointed those M-16s at the driver until he handed back those keys. My mouth was open at that point. After 9/11, holy crap again. I've been inside at least 20 more times since, and the stories about my experiences are pretty "funny." I do know for a fact when it comes to protection of our sites, the guards will shoot anyone that violates the rules of the site, or trespass. They also have water cooled 50cal machine guns, computor controlled, on site, operated by the Military. They have microwave sensors that detect intrusion, and, if you get within 2 or 3 miles of the site in the air, and do not respond, you will have 2 F-16's in your face in minutes.
    My take on Nuke plants.
    Damn, I either need a job, or a girlfriend..............
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 3, 1961 Idaho Falls, Idaho, US Explosion at SL-1, National Reactor Testing Station. An additional 1,100 Curies were released as fission products to the atmosphere, but due to the remoteness, most of it was recovered and buried.

There were 3 men killed at this accident. They are buried in lead vaults. Recovering one of the victims body was quite involved as he was impaled on a bolt. Due to the radioactivity the people doing the body recovery could only spend about one minute at a time behind a lead shield.

Default No "New" Nukes Now

Featured Sponsorr

Just when the nuclear power industry was getting ready to revitalize itself, the disaster in Japan happened. You can kiss it goodbye now, hopefully they will build the one that was just getting ready to start in Georgia. Sure would have created alot of jobs, but now you will start hearing the word decommission especially on the GE Mark I reactors that are nearly 40 years old and identical to the ones we are watching in Japan.
    " When character is lost, all is lost "