1. Default i need help/ advice

Featured Sponsor

i know this is in the wrong section but i thought expericed guy would chime in on it. first off i am trying to get in my local i have taken the test passed it interviewed a year and a half ago. then i went out got my cdl and med card. then i got a job for a cell tower company. to get experince climbing and working at heights so my question is how else can prepare my self and make my self more wanted by the union. I also have a letter of recommendation from one of the company in the union.
    i know there is the school thing but i have herd many things about that route and most not good. but if necessary i will go that way but i am in my 30's and to loose out on work would cripple me as i do work for my self so no work no money.
    any advice would help and thanks.

Default ???

What "test" do you pass?

3. Default

Groundman books. Tree Trimmer Apprenticeship. Crane Operator Certification. Knowing someone at a utility.

Work for a union contractor in a non represented position like driver, helper, tool room, etc.

Brad

4. Default

i passed the pre Apprentice test through neat. I have tried to get a non union gig. yes i know just to get my foot in the door. and i have tried the ground man thing they said its at least a 2 year wait on that. and in nh there is no crane Operator Certification.

Your gonna HAVE to go talk to a jatc ana get into an apprenticeship!

6. Default

yeah neat is part of that. And i guess thats my question is how do i get myself in a more place to sell myself to them.

There's A LOT of competion so apply to more than one JATC!Don't be afraid to leave the area you live in.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Fast duck View Post
    yeah neat is part of that. And i guess thats my question is how do i get myself in a more place to sell myself to them.
    I can understand your frustration, but there aren't many openings for new apprentices in line construction at this time. There have been many apprentices and journeymen linemen laid off in the past year and most, if not all of the IBEW programs have a large number of appllicants on their waiting lists, tested, interviewed and ready to go, but there are few jobs available. Be patient and reapply if your time runs out.