Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

I am neither for nor against union or non-union workers.

I've always said a man should be measured by his own merit. Don't measure a man by his associations, his family, his friends, or his money, but rather measure him by his committment, honor, truthfulness, courage, work ethic, knowledge, etc.

Why do the topics of discussion on this forum tend to eventually wind up in a pissing contest of whether union work or non-union work is better?

When has the argument ever been settled into a conclusive point where we have been able to identify a "winner"?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to discuss the topic (assuming it isn't union vs. non-union topic) so we could all learn from one another rather than trying to tear one another down? In the end, I would hope that every one of us could learn something useful from one another.

If the only reason you come here is to fight about union or non-union, wouldn't you save time by just banging your head against the wall for a few minutes and carrying on with life?

Quote Originally Posted by scamplineman View Post
    You think it is the Non Unions that have made the bed that you lay in now????

You are wrong.... It is the unions forcing big dollar contracts down the employers throat over the last 50 years... all the while getting less and less from there employees.
    Nice try but you can't pin that one on any one but yourselves... look in the mirror.... there in lies the problem.

This whole country is making concessions (everyone besides the government)... You are not alone, only you, being "highly compensated" like you claim, might tend to bring more concessions your way rather than ours.
    Why is it wrong to negotiate working agreements? What is so awful about setting standards for pay and working conditions? GEEZ fellas how would you have it. The big wigs at your company (union or non) all have contracts, why can't we? Its not complicated. Its common sense. A company is never going to give one cent more than they have too. Which means your going to make less money as time goes on (adjust for inflation). That's why we set timetables for raises.

If I hear you correctly, your ideal scenario, involves doing whatever the boss tells you to, whenever he wants you to, for whatever he's willing to pay you. Or else.

Unions are not a bad thing fellas. I will never understand why a workingman would want less.

Because scamp is what is known as a leach letting better man than he fight for what he has got (and if you would have read his compensation and bennies is substantial) knowing full well he gets those things because he is surrounded by union brothers and his company has to keep up to keep help.

At least swamp knew he was getting shit on (or at least I think he did no telling with him) but he had already made his fortune off the backs of immigrant labor in the burning sands so he didint care!

Scamp, in not one post have I ever said Im the cats ass of lineman. On the contrary I use your own words as to what shity hands you work with at that rat company!

Now call me swamprat cause Im a little slow on the uptake on this one, but you worked IBEW telphone then went rat to work power . . . . . . . . . . . . .SUDDENLY it becomes crystal clear why you never met a power hand that could live up to your hereos!

I bet it was a culture shock going to work with those pathetic rats shits. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . just like you said!!!!!

4. Default

i've read all of your posts, trying to gather an opinion of my own. now 30 years old, i've been working as a legitamate apprentice for two years with two different cooperatives. previously i spent three years working for a primary metering company under a journeyman lineman who introduced me to the trade. i have worked numerous trades even did my own thing for a while as an electrician/excavator/tree trimmer.i made plenty of money but, was still left wanting. i made a move in 2007 to a line school graduated, and landed a job, non-union, in the mountain west. after realizing the lack of training i was getting i hooked a job still in the mountain west and still non-union, with another cooperative. now realizing that i am faced with the same lack of training and practical line application i am applying with seven of the nine jatc's across the nation. at this point, pay takes a distant second to personal confidence gained only by exposure. I have completed years one and two of DOL certified apprenticeships and racked up 3524 ojt hours, not to mention the 6,080 accrued with the urd company i worked for. that may not add up to some of you seasoned guys but, i took a big chance dragging from my life of security to try and better myself. i need exposure in all aspects of the trade!!!! i understand the need for a union in the industry but, also know that it takes all kinds. just trying to make the most educated guess on which way to go from here to get the best training affording me value to that company that i will eventually find so i can start settling down alittle, maybe get a house with some land and a lady. thoughts, suggestions, encouragement???? lately my optimism has been setting with the sun.

Default Don't quit the COOP

Union work is REALLL slow right now. I have been at the house for just under two months and have friends that have been sitting for five or six months. Sucks. Im a 4th step in SELCAT. Great program, great instructors, no work right now though.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MEGA81 View Post
    Union work is REALLL slow right now. I have been at the house for just under two months and have friends that have been sitting for five or six months. Sucks. Im a 4th step in SELCAT. Great program, great instructors, no work right now though.
    so maybe also concentrate on some storm country utilities? i don't have to go union, just looking for good training and with the most exposure.

RMP is putting nonunion contractors in place for possible negotiation problems in 127's area.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    RMP is putting nonunion contractors in place for possible negotiation problems in 127's area.

Never in the thirty plus years in this trade have I heard of these tactics by power companies. Local 53 KC MO went out for almost 6 months in the
    1970's and even non union respected the picket lines. THEY HAD DAMN WELL BETTER.

Default Good luck

We just finished with a strike in PA. We had all kinds of heros from all over the U.S. cross the the line and yes some were even union hands (and yes charges were filed).SAD!!!!! So if you think they'll honor a picket line don't hold your breath!
    Last edited by jrwhd68; 09-11-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Featured Sponsorr

I disagree times are tough but comeon nobody's starving, going to a different state to take another man job while their taking a stand for their families is just wrong be it union or non their SCABS!!! and the lowest forms of life ,and deserve whats coming too them when they cross the picket line!!!!!! they do it because they're greedy the company paid them a sign on bonus and they made double time! they didn't do it because times were tough they did it for greed and nothing else period!! KARMA'S A BITCH!!!