Default 4 phase transmission?

Featured Sponsor

Was riding in a rural area today and happened to look at a transmission line...noticed 4 phases.....a static up top with for what looked like 138 KV insulators with phases. It was framed 2 phases back to back with another 2 phases back to back below the first set. Should have took a picture. Anyways after further looking....the top 2 "phases" were what looked like 4/0 or so and the bottom 2 phases looked to be 394-556 or so size conductors. Obviously there is not a 4 phase transmission line so the two top "phases" are actually the same phase while the bottom 2 phases make up the rest of the 3 phase line. They only reason I could imagine in my little pea brain it would be built like this is to balance the loading placed on the poles....has anyone else seen this or know why it would be built as such? Finally got to a sub and sure enough the top two "phases" came together to a single set of deadend bells much in the same fashion that bundled conductors would.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by linemanfrog View Post
    Was riding in a rural area today and happened to look at a transmission line...noticed 4 phases.....a static up top with for what looked like 138 KV insulators with phases. It was framed 2 phases back to back with another 2 phases back to back below the first set. Should have took a picture. Anyways after further looking....the top 2 "phases" were what looked like 4/0 or so and the bottom 2 phases looked to be 394-556 or so size conductors. Obviously there is not a 4 phase transmission line so the two top "phases" are actually the same phase while the bottom 2 phases make up the rest of the 3 phase line. They only reason I could imagine in my little pea brain it would be built like this is to balance the loading placed on the poles....has anyone else seen this or know why it would be built as such? Finally got to a sub and sure enough the top two "phases" came together to a single set of deadend bells much in the same fashion that bundled conductors would.
    There is some crazy stuff out there ....that 4th phase makes me think of a spare phase,that Ive seen on distrubution.Just when you think theres no way some things are done,you find out that theres many ways they are done.Anyway.....when you saw that 4th phase ...did you stop or turn around for a closer look?Now I know you didnt happen to be drinking when you saw this 4th phase ....right?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    There is some crazy stuff out there ....that 4th phase makes me think of a spare phase,that Ive seen on distrubution.Just when you think theres no way some things are done,you find out that theres many ways they are done.Anyway.....when you saw that 4th phase ...did you stop or turn around for a closer look?Now I know you didnt happen to be drinking when you saw this 4th phase ....right?
    Actually my boss and I were coming back from looking at new right of way equipment. As I said it wasn't really 4 phases but in essence there were 2 A phases in parallel then one B and one C. As far as drinking and driving....only as long it is nothing stronger than sweet tea.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.