Thread: poly insulators

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by neil macgregor View Post
    any of you lads ever tried to twist these things under tension
    if you look at them they have a seem down the water sheds
    that runs in a straight line if you try to twist these under tension
    the seem will twist .if it does you will have to change these
    as it will be truely fecked inside
    As I mentioned earlier...on any angle, we put a clevis/shackle between the dead end poly and the eye nut/sister eye, to prevent any twist, as they are not designed to be twisted......
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Quote Originally Posted by Trbl639 View Post
    As I mentioned earlier...on any angle, we put a clevis/shackle between the dead end poly and the eye nut/sister eye, to prevent any twist, as they are not designed to be twisted......
    We attach them to a D at the pole & use what we call a neutral saddle to clamp onto the wire for corners from 16 to 45 degrees. It is all we have used since I have started & have never heard of them twisting.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    We attach them to a D at the pole & use what we call a neutral saddle to clamp onto the wire for corners from 16 to 45 degrees. It is all we have used since I have started & have never heard of them twisting.
    Seems we had some contractors on the property that didn't know to turn the eyelets on an angle arm...left them strait up instead of on their side....it did twist them, we didn't know it till a big oak came down on it, and saw what they had done.........
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

I noticed in parts of North Florida they are starting to go to polymer insulators on brackets compared to mounting the glass right to the pole, I wonder how they like the change?

I have seen the wire melt into the poly. I have seen Copperweld vibrate through poly pin type on fiber arms in the center phase position on a steel pole and with some contamination and some moisture burn the wire down. I have seen the wire cut down from lighting and run through the clamp style poly pin type for multiple spans. I have seen the DE poly bells blister in the sun as well as the poly cut outs. Have seen the plastic bolts back out of the clamp type poly pins. The base plate for the poly vertical mounts plus wire clamps, line guard and Damper running $100x3 vs. $50 for X arm const. Gotta have dampers on vertical and steel poles or the studs shear off on the angles within weeks. We have a saying here that when management makes their own decisions we make more money.

Wow must be the heat you have in the summer, we get to around 30C (90F) in the summer and we have none of the problems you state and have been using mainly poly for over 25 years. All of our post insulators have mechanical clamps which are so much safer and faster, I could unclamp on old pole and move phase up to a new pole and clamp in before it would be untied using tie wire. The problem we are having with glass is we get cracks then we get water that freezes then insulator falls off.

Featured Sponsorr

Sounds like they are talking about the plastic Hendrix insulators. Polymers have been in use since the 1980's and I haven't heard of many problems with them except some Epac and chance suspensions.