Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default 2014

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    It's a date,... . Mind you I'm in Wales 10 days a fortnight so you will have to be lucky. Home in Dublin from this morning.. Till Monday. Kicking back.
    I won't be back there till August next year!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default It's 1974

The Health and Safety at work act was 1974 I think Bren, might have taken a few years to get over the Irish Sea

We've also got the electricity at work act over here in the UK which pretty much states "we will not work live unless it's not possible under any circumstances to work dead". We can test live (because you can't prove dead otherwise) but any other live working requires some serious justification.

To give you another example of our network configuration that allows Bren and his teams to work dead but keep the customers on supply.

I had a farmer recently catch a stay wire in a mower. It snapped it and in the process dropped one phase of 11kv onto the ground. The protection didn't operate probably because everywhere was bone dry but it did get switched out by scada (telemetry) once reported.

Within an hour every customer except the one fed from the downed wire was back on supply and the linesman still hadn't made it to site. How ?? Our networks are built in rings with open points and lots of sectional switches. An engineer can operate the switches to "move the open point" to the faulty section.

Stu

3. Default

That is a great concept to work everything de-energized and certainly lessens the risk of electrocution, but I don't see that happening over here. There is not enough generators in the states to make that a possibility.(I have been wrong before and will be again but what makes you a lineman if you do not do hot work.) I stopped and read my comment and at the moment I stand by it. In my opinion if you kill every line you are working on there is always the risk of back feed from a generator or a crossing powerline. Bren has done nothing but improve this forum and I look forward to his posts and pictures but it almost like we live in different countries.

Nothing wrong with 'killing it' , it doesn't make you any less of a lineman. We evaluate every job for the feasibility of killing it. For example the job we are just completing, we have done mostly dead. All we had to do was cut in some temporary switches, and a bit of switching.

5. Default

I certainly agree with killing everything when possible. De-energized everytime we could for years and no it doesn't make you less of a lineman to wotk it dead. Just not possible most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by splinter View Post
    I certainly agree with killing everything when possible.
    Except linemen obviously.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    Except linemen obviously.
    Maybe if we worked live " HOT " we might get one of those defibrillators. I've been trained ( with the karate club ) to use the de fib. It's amazing how many places ya see them now. Which is great. But still none on uk line trucks.

Dooh ! Can't believe I've hijacked my own thread.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

8. Default

Never seen a man burnt in 40 years,had to be all luck.

I have been at the trade 25 years, and I am in Canada, I've known fellas to get hurt , burned and killed. We have really good safety record too. I got a small burn some years ago when the lid blew of a transformer without warning.

Featured Sponsorr

Umm I seen three get burnt purdy bad 2 when a transformer bank sploded n the oil caught fire and another when he wuz trying to put a gut on from the top n cut out n fell across the primary