Default About to graduate SLTC

Featured Sponsor

I will graduate SLTC in a couple weeks. I have been sending out resumes and calling companies all over the country. I have a baby on the way (first...yay!) and we are willing to move anywhere - I would just prefer to limit travel (so hopefully I can avoid contractors). I'm trying not to be too picky, I just need to start working and being home most nights is a priority.

Given that we are so mobile, does anybody have any tips? I have done been googling co-ops and calling, applying all over, calling, and doing resumes and online applications. I know there are jobs out there, and we are willing to move, but so many of these municipal and co-op websites are...less than helpful.

Fingers crossed for LG&E, but I know that can take a while, and I need to start working soon. Would greatly appreciate any tips

2. Default

I have graduated a Lineman college for a couple of months now. And I am still looking. The best advice I can give you is to be patient and don't give up. Good Luck

Xcel Energy- groundman ----Colorado

Have you went to the LU in the area IBEW LU 369 Louisville KY? They may have something to start you out? If not ask them if they know of anywhere?
    Ed Mings
    International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
    International Representative
    Construction and Maintenance Department

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Xcel Energy- groundman ----Colorado
    already applied for that one. and lg&e, pp&l, duke, and tons of small co-ops and municipalities. fingers crossed...

6. Default

I was thinking about applying SELCAT. How many hours of training did you have to complete the course? And do they have housing? I am interested in their apprenticeship program. Do they pay you when you start the class training? What area do you work in? Sorry for all the questions, but any inf would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by tesla21 View Post
    I was thinking about applying SELCAT. How many hours of training did you have to complete the course? And do they have housing? I am interested in their apprenticeship program. Do they pay you when you start the class training? What area do you work in? Sorry for all the questions, but any inf would be appreciated.
    if you do your apprenticeship through SELCAT, you will be traveling a lot (which is the only reason i don't want to do it - i have a newborn and i'd rather not be away from my family all the time).

basically, it works like this: you get on SELCAT's books. they farm you out to contractors to get you OJT experience. i don't remember how the classroom stuff works, but they will send you all over 9 states in the southeast to work on jobs (line construction). it could be for 6 weeks, 6 months, a year...who knows. when that job is done, you go home, and they will offer you another job. then you travel again. rinse and repeat for 3-4 years.

you can always call them for more info. if you don't mind the travel, SELCAT might not be bad at all (if i were younger and single i would definitely do it).

best wishes and good luck