Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: skin a cat

Default anss

Featured Sponsor

Steel x arm.

Ok what ya do is you attach a tirfor to the bottom of the pole on the left with a sling. Run the bond up to the x arm and attach the bond to the farthest part of the arm on the left. Take up on the tirfor . With not to much pressure.the weight will come of the bolt on the rotten pole. You can then take the bolt from the rotten pole. Drop the old one and set the new one in the same place. New bolt in and your done.
    And before you ask. YES the pole on the left will easily take the extra weight. It looks odd when the wires and x arm are supported by one pole..... But trust me it works.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default Trefir? Is this like a block and tackle?

A little clarification please.

Similar to a jack.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...rfor&FORM=IGRE

What do you anchor the Tirfor to. The other pole butt or do you set an anchor and trust it?

Quote Originally Posted by RadonHuffer View Post
    A little clarification please.
    Tirfor = kinda like a come-a-long. If I'm following correctly you attach the tirfor to the bottom of the left hand pole and attach the cable to the left edge of the x-arm. Tighten to take off the pressure on the right hand pole, unbolt, and pull out. Set new pole in it's place.

Name:  2012-03-06_08-53-28_521.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  91.0 KB

I had the concept right. Just used the stays instead of the pole butt.
    If you can build it you can fix it!

Ummmmmm and thats spozta keep the arm from a twist? I dont think so.There is gonna be way more strain on that arm doing it your way.With no insulators or conductor on the outside The arm would only be slighty outta balance and I would think manageable .

Default Tirfor, Now I want one.

Nice Drawing exactly what I was thinking.

Default keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmm and thats spozta keep the arm from a twist? I dont think so.There is gonna be way more strain on that arm doing it your way.With no insulators or conductor on the outside The arm would only be slighty outta balance and I would think manageable .
    If its a very long span we might drop the outer wire. And even move the centre one towards the "good leg. But rarely have to.

By leaving every thing clamped in the arm will want to stay square. The insulators an shoes stop it moving to much if it move as all. Once your insulators are plumb in the end everything is back where ya started.....

Nice drawing.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Nice drawing.
    Thanks ... I forgot to draw in the wallabies though.

Featured Sponsorr

You could probably have used the tirfor to both support the good pole and extract the old pole in one action. I've attached a picture to show how. What do you reckon?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com