Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

Everything here every 6 months, seems a little over the top sometimes as some sticks might not even see the light of day.

We got caught out once cutting a long hose in half as the one half didn't end up with the class rating on it so a non-conformance in a audit.

Ummmmmmm Linehose usta be every 2 yrs but inspected daily Gloves and sleeves every 3 months, Bucket liners and booms anually, Hot sticks anually and Blankets every 6 months

3. Default Line Hose Testing Interval...

Here is the table from the OSHA standard...

Table I-6. - Rubber Insulating Equipment Test Intervals
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Type of equipment | When to test
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Rubber insulating line hose | Upon indication that insulating value
    | is suspect.
    Rubber insulating covers | Upon indication that insulating value
    | is suspect.
    Rubber insulating blankets | Before first issue and every 12 months
    | thereafter(1).
    Rubber insulating gloves | Before first issue and every 6 months
    | thereafter(1).
    Rubber insulating sleeves | Before first issue and every 12 months
    | thereafter(1).
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Footnote(1) If the insulating equipment has been electrically
    tested but not issued for service, it may not be placed into service
    unless it has been electrically tested within the previous 12 months

Most places are testing more than required, which is a good thing. There are some very freak accidents which have occured due to using rubber insulating cover-up without first doing a visual inspection. Seems to be one of those areas where the accidents are so far and few between that risk outweighs the reward.

I had the opportunity to listen to an Altec safety rep one time define a "one-in-a-million" accident. (I'm sure I've got the details wrong on this, but you should get his point.) If Altec had the mindset that they couldn't prevent all accidents and the acceptable number was one for every 1 million operations, they would be out of business the first day. This individual went on to say how many Altec units were in service, and on any given workday the number of operations before noon was in the millions... plural. They have the mindset that "one-in-a-million" is way too many. I wish everyone held that same belief.
    Saftgeek-

Featured Sponsorr

Ummmmmm the multi million dollar 2 bit outfit I worked with at one time tested gloves from every company they owned. And say I turned in a pair of size 10 class 4 gloves and some guy from BFE turned in a pair also n his left glove failed and my right glove failed we wud each get 1 new glove.That made 1 pair go a little longer.I dont think they can do that any longer. But they sure nuff dunnit to save a buck.