Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Practicing climbing

Featured Sponsor

Today I tried getting a little idea of what it feels like to climb a pole. It didn't workout too good, but I was using tree climbers with large spikes instead of pole climbers. The spike kept trying to pivot and prevent me from standing on it. Do you think that would make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by moose364 View Post
    Today I tried getting a little idea of what it feels like to climb a pole. It didn't workout too good, but I was using tree climbers with large spikes instead of pole climbers. The spike kept trying to pivot and prevent me from standing on it. Do you think that would make a difference?
    Moose, you should find someone that knows what he is doing and not go it alone!
    Tree gaffs are longer, but that is the least of your worries. Your gonna end up busting your ass without some training.

What pole are you practicing on???

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    Moose, you should find someone that knows what he is doing and not go it alone!
    Tree gaffs are longer, but that is the least of your worries. Your gonna end up busting your ass without some training.

What pole are you practicing on???
    An AEP pole in my yard. See, the thing is. I have wanted to work with AEP for as long as I can remember. This is my 2nd interview with them this year. I have a baby on the way and I'm 23 and my wife and I live with my mom and dad right now and it's killing me. Whether I get the job or not depends on how I do at the climbing assessment. I think they are sending us somewhere to a climbing school but I'm going to be tested on a small climbing assessment at the interview. I'll do anything and everything it takes to pass that assessment and receive a chance to learn.

If you climb on your own, you're going to pick up bad habits... u need to have someone show you what to do, it doesn't feel natural at first, so you need to be critiqued.

Quote Originally Posted by moose364 View Post
    An AEP pole in my yard. See, the thing is. I have wanted to work with AEP for as long as I can remember. This is my 2nd interview with them this year. I have a baby on the way and I'm 23 and my wife and I live with my mom and dad right now and it's killing me. Whether I get the job or not depends on how I do at the climbing assessment. I think they are sending us somewhere to a climbing school but I'm going to be tested on a small climbing assessment at the interview. I'll do anything and everything it takes to pass that assessment and receive a chance to learn.
    I would guess that the test will be on agility and cooridination unless they are interviewing experienced climbers, everyone will be in the same boat.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiretamer View Post
    I would guess that the test will be on agility and cooridination unless they are interviewing experienced climbers, everyone will be in the same boat.
    I think they are interviewing experienced climbers as well. It just depends on who put in for the job and passed the placement exercise. There's a tree company that does a lot of climbing and a lot of those guys apply with AEP. What gives me an advantage is I'm very strong and I'm a very quick learner. I just really hope I get this I want and need it bad I've wanted to be a lineman my whole life.

Stay off their pole. If they do test your climbing ability they would much rather have someone thats never climbed than someone who has developed bad habits while teaching themselves.Habits are easier to form than to break, and they are aware of that.Make up for your lack of climbing ability with some exuberance.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Stay off their pole. If they do test your climbing ability they would much rather have someone thats never climbed than someone who has developed bad habits while teaching themselves.Habits are easier to form than to break, and they are aware of that.Make up for your lack of climbing ability with some exuberance.
    So, what you're saying is, they would probably rather have a newbie climber that doesn't know much about it so they can train that person to their own standards, rather than have someone who has developed habits outside of their safety standards? That does make sense. I just hope that's what they're looking for rather than just seeing who can climb the best the first day.

Edit: The job description said "no work experience required", so I'm assuming your post is probably right.

Good luck with your interview, and if don't happen this time keep trying! At 27 you still have plenty of time to reach your goal!!

Featured Sponsorr

Are you applying to Swepco/Aep?