Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sad NEWS

Default Sad NEWS

Featured Sponsor

Two children were severly burned while playing near powerlines in N.W.Harris Co...which is in Houston.Authorities arnt saying much,but Centerpoint Energy confirmed that 2 people were nearly electrocuted.Precint 4 constables office says the victims were a 3 yr.old boy and a 5 yr.old girl.Both were flown to Shriners Burns Hospital in Galveston,in critical condition.....Ill keep you all posted when more info is known......but is surely doesnt look too good.

From what Im getting it looks like it pointing to a guy wire,must have came off the anchor...7200....seen a terminal pole in the backyard on the news.The switches/arrester didnt look to be that high....neighbors say they heard a loud boom....father preformed CPR on the spot....Im sure the guy wire didnt have a guy-strain insulator/fish up near the hot primary.....a loose guy wire will attract children.....so if you guys see one in the field....please re-attach it or make it safe.....never know....you might be saving a life.

Blog Entries

We had similar years ago. We had to cut out all Johnny balls out and ground all guys
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Im sure the company will be stressing the importance of guys not being attached,broken guy preforms/ect....I saw several CP employees on the scene on the news....I cant imagine how they felt.....seeing a loose guy wire near the swing set that was not far from the pole itself....most likely with burn marks on the ground....Im hopeful the children will survive....this is another accident that had no business even happening.

Not that it matters,now...but the voltage possibly was 19.9....they are not saying much on the conditions of the children involved....sometimes there is one guy strain insulator put on the guys....when there should be two or three.

6. Default guy

In our territory we put a fish and a knocker on all primary guy's.

Im thinking they might have had one here...but it wasnt enough...they say the children were swinging on the guy/guys....and above them is where it made contact...

Default Tragic but...

Where were the Parents ??

My kids have known from an early age that electricity demands respect. So much so that walking locally one afternoon my then 4 year old spotted a steelwork earth (not sure what you call them across the pond but Bren will know what I mean) broken just above head height and hanging from an 11KV pole.

He pointed it out and insisted I called it in. To be honest as it was the weekend and the pole was in the middle of a field I was going to wait until Monday.

That said, still very sad and my thoughts are with the family

Stu

It happened in the backyard...gated and all...that guy must have been loose for awhile...but normal folks can walk past it hundreds of times...we on the other hand can spot the dangers involved in a split second.....believe me ....some people dont look up,even if they do they usually dont know what they are looking at......example...one of the neighbors in this incident said the lines were always buzzing and humming....he asked ,,what is that......19.9 often does that ,but he wouldnt know unless you explained it to him....and many,many lineman have walked past guys/stays that were not secured proper.

Featured Sponsorr

The local news reported that the loose guy wire was reported in several weeks ago....the company is now looking at phone records/ect....I think we all know where this one is going.