Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PG&E Division yards

Featured Sponsor

What are some good division yards around the Bay Area?

These are the yards they have openings for.
    San Carlos
    San Jose
    Colma
    San Rafael
    Cinnabar
    San Francisco

And in central valley they have. Any of these yards good?
    Coalinga
    Dinuba
    Lemoore
    Fresno
    Madera

2. Default

San Carlos
    San Jose
    Colma
    San Rafael
    Cinnabar
    San Francisco
    Any of these have good and bad folks but alot of money to be made however HIGH COST OF LIVING!
    400+ FOR A HOME. Great working weather. all big citys with amenites. challenging linework

Coalinga
    Dinuba
    Lemoore
    Fresno
    Madera
    Any have good and bad folks however affordable living outdoor life surrounded by agriculture...kinda hot summers. Fresno is a big city with all the amenites. the others are little towns...excluding fresno the other areas are easy linework\rural.

3. Default

General Construction is hireing to. =]

Thanks resto

Yeah i already know about the cost of living as i live in east contra costa county and from the bay area. I just topped out from outside construction and looking to work out of the house. I still have alot to learn.
    By "good yards" i mean the guys that like to do the dirty work, not give it up, rather than turn it in as being unsafe or too difficult. example: backyard poles or crane sets etc.

Can you tell me pros and cons of GC versus Division?

While im not counting out GC i dont like the fact of a 5 year commitment and possibly being relocated within pg&e territory at any time. Tell me more resto

6. Default

From what I was told during an interview is that GC are the traveling crews... Division are not... 6 weeks at a time out...

Quote Originally Posted by scratchpad View Post
    While im not counting out GC i dont like the fact of a 5 year commitment and possibly being relocated within pg&e territory at any time. Tell me more resto
    I dont know about the cost of living...but in the last month you wont be living the same if gas doesnt stop going upwards...I do know about the traffic in the San Francisco area....that whole area aint cheap....San Rafael isnt so cheap....San Jose cant be cheap...and not that you would find a yard in Sausalito...that wouldnt be cheap,but if you do...let me know.....good luck where-ever you wind up.....stay away from disneyland....we all know what happens to lineman near those places.

8. Default

If you want details private message me buddy. This website has mostly division people on it so I dont want to start a huge argument.

One is maintence and emergency. For a family this is a better route. And to most it is just a job to them! More emergency double time. Doesnt usually leave his yard except storm.

The other is Construction and larger and more challengeing jobs! (like being a contractor within PG@E). And people more dedicated to linework! More pre arranged time and half on weekends etc, and transmission work can exist. When work dries up in your home area you do travel. usually 3-6 months at at time to more undesireable locations where work is always around (bay area), (fresno bako).

For you scratchpad, I do not know you nor what you want out of linework. So with this I mean do you love linework as in want to do it all underground overhead dist, transmission etc (GC)or is linework just a job for you to make $(division). I am not judgeing friend the company needs both kinda people bad. Both kinda people make the linework world go round.

As for what you want out of life, well the bay area is way to much money for a linehand even working tons of overtime. However it has good weather and challenging linework.

The valley yards are out in the middle of knowwhere where theres not even a taco bell, but the rent is cheap. Fresno isnt to bad in my opinion. Clovis is a nice town.

LMAO working for Park and Go Eat no thanks I'll stay on the outside make just as much moiney and take 3 months a year off and not have to deal with all the BS that goes on working for a power company!!!
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

Featured Sponsorr

3 months off is not a bad deal....not at all....unless you had to spend it with my x-wife.