Thread: NEAT Questions

1. Default NEAT Questions

Featured Sponsor

Hello everyone,

I am an aspiring lineman who is brand new to the site and have some questions about going through the Northeast Joint Apprenticeship. I am currently finishing a 2 year electrical degree from the Thaddeus Stevens College in Lancaster PA, and have been interested in this apprenticeship since it is great way to get into the trade. First of all, does it matter what class of CDL you have to apply. I'll probably apply with a permit since I don't have a truck to test in, but would a person with a class A permit get placed higher on the list? I know the aptitude test also determines where you get placed on the list, and I've been wondering what that is like. From the sample questions I found online, the seem to just ask logic based questions instead of electrical related questions. I also have some concerns about the waiting list. How long do most apprentices have to wait? I know you get taken off the list after 2 years, but I find that hard to believe since there is so much work around PA. I'm hoping my degree will help me get in, and my school apparently has connections with IBEW 126 and Henkels and McCoy as well. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You need to get a CDL - A, for them to even look at you IMO... not familiar with that side of the country, but u dont have much use if you can't drive a truck on your own... it would be worth it to go to a cdl trucking school if you cant find a way to test in a truck somewhere.

3. Default

Thanks for your help wantafastz28! I have been looking at trucking schools around where I live but they all seem to have their classes when I am in school. I'm hoping to get my permit to apply, and if I get in, I'll probably be able to test in a bucket truck from the contractor I'm placed with. I know that's how it works with most utility companies.

Quote Originally Posted by lockeinsulator1 View Post
    Thanks for your help wantafastz28! I have been looking at trucking schools around where I live but they all seem to have their classes when I am in school. I'm hoping to get my permit to apply, and if I get in, I'll probably be able to test in a bucket truck from the contractor I'm placed with. I know that's how it works with most utility companies.
    It's not utility its contractors, so you need your Class A first and foremost. Do you even know what line work is like? Your school will help with nothing, except theory maybe. Pretty cocky attitude.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    It's not utility its contractors, so you need your Class A first and foremost. Do you even know what line work is like? Your school will help with nothing, except theory maybe. Pretty cocky attitude.
    I really appologize if I came across as cocky, I didn't mean to be at all. I was just trying to explain the situation I am in. I don't really know what like work is like, but I have been told that it takes a lot of physical strength in all weather conditions, and that you can't be scared of heights. I also know that having an ego in any job can get you into trouble. I am hoping that joining the forum can help me learn more about this career and what to expect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    I didnt take his questions as cocky at all, just a kid trying to get into the trade, cut him some slack.....we all started somewhere.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lockeinsulator1 View Post
    I really appologize if I came across as cocky, I didn't mean to be at all. I was just trying to explain the situation I am in. I don't really know what like work is like, but I have been told that it takes a lot of physical strength in all weather conditions, and that you can't be scared of heights. I also know that having an ego in any job can get you into trouble. I am hoping that joining the forum can help me learn more about this career and what to expect.
    right on man, well your cdl is a must before you apply at least it is with the JATC's here. good luck to ya

8. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Thanks everyone for your advice! I just found out of another opportunity that opened up. Apparently PPL, my local utility, is interested in hiring electrical students from my school next year because of hurricane Sandy.