Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

ummmmmmmmm yeah induction wont show up on a fuzz test. and it can be just as deadly as any energized circuit.Fuzzing iz a poor method for determinining the state of a circuit.

I can't believe that anyone is still testing lines this way. You would be fired for that here.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

3. Default

Thanks to every body

Actually the lineman crew they have Super tester from A.B.Chanc
    But, they did not use it , because they are working for many years without any problems.
    I know this is wrong thinking

On another hand I'm still I need scientific answer for :-
    If the line design as 400 kv 1080.8 conductor quadruple conductor, energized temporary by 115 kv, did this the reason that the test by end of a live line tool to the conductor fail

Can anybody guide for the OSHA – IEEE standard for this issue?
    What is the best – safest way for testing transmission line?

Thanks for all

Blog Entries

Tman, never heard of or seen a sweep meter. Who makes them? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv View Post
    Thanks to every body

Actually the lineman crew they have Super tester from A.B.Chanc
    But, they did not use it , because they are working for many years without any problems.
    I know this is wrong thinking

On another hand I'm still I need scientific answer for :-
    If the line design as 400 kv 1080.8 conductor quadruple conductor, energized temporary by 115 kv, did this the reason that the test by end of a live line tool to the conductor fail

Can anybody guide for the OSHA – IEEE standard for this issue?
    What is the best – safest way for testing transmission line?

Thanks for all
    http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ards&p_id=9868

The link will take you to OSHA 1910.269 regs, alot of legalese but you will get the gist of it.

On your scientific answer for why the fuzzine failed, I dont have scientific in my head but ask yourself this. If the conductor and configuration of the construction was different, but energized at 115kv, would the buzzing method work? 115 is 115, I dont care what configuration the construction is.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Chance used to make a very good sweep dial meter. It was able to pot test overhead and underground test points too. It had a switch on the top. I just recently saw a very good meter as well but I am not sure of the make. I'll get that for you when I go back to work on Tuesday. As for the question about the 400kv line being energized at 115kv. No that will not make a difference to a potential indicator. Using one would have saved them a lot of grief.
    Last edited by rob8210; 10-05-2012 at 06:23 AM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ards&p_id=9868

The link will take you to OSHA 1910.269 regs, alot of legalese but you will get the gist of it.

On your scientific answer for why the fuzzine failed, I dont have scientific in my head but ask yourself this. If the conductor and configuration of the construction was different, but energized at 115kv, would the buzzing method work? 115 is 115, I dont care what configuration the construction is.
    Thanks
    I know 115 kv is 115kv but my concern is the conductor which energized is 4 conductor ACAR not single nor double conductor,
    Do you think in this case, will not reduce the sound of buzzer?

No I don't. I have tried quite a few different pot testers, one that buzzed and lit up for instance. It had to be set for the voltage being tested, and it would buzz and light up very well even if there was another live circuit nearby. I did an experiment though, and set it to a lower voltage once. Lets say I was testing a 27.6kv circuit and I set it for 4kv, it would not buzz or light up when placed on 27.6. That is why I prefer a tester with a sweep meter on it, cause no matter what voltage you are testing if there is a lower voltage there it will show you. Your fellas did know the line was operating at 115kv, didn't they?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    No I don't. I have tried quite a few different pot testers, one that buzzed and lit up for instance. It had to be set for the voltage being tested, and it would buzz and light up very well even if there was another live circuit nearby. I did an experiment though, and set it to a lower voltage once. Lets say I was testing a 27.6kv circuit and I set it for 4kv, it would not buzz or light up when placed on 27.6. That is why I prefer a tester with a sweep meter on it, cause no matter what voltage you are testing if there is a lower voltage there it will show you. Your fellas did know the line was operating at 115kv, didn't they?
    You just answered my "sweep" question. You're talking about a sweep hand or dial indicator similar to those found on chance phasers or pot testers. Sorry, I had a brain fart.....

Featured Sponsorr

We all get those brain fart thingys, its called age!!!!