Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default Buzzing a circuit - story to experts and Engineers?

Featured Sponsor

Buzzing a circuit through the use of a live line tool is one of the methods performed by linemen to ensure that features being worked on have been isolated.

This process touching the metal cap at the end of a live line tool to the conductor.

If the voltage is high enough to produce a buzzing sound, the circuit is considered energized.

If the buzz is not heard, the line is to be considered isolated.

Last week one of lineman crew get outage for 115kv line to do some de energized maintenance
    By mistake they went to life circuit and test the line by touching the metal cap at the end of a live line tool to the conductor.
    then no any buzzing sound herring.

Then they install personal ground ....the line get trip with big arc!!
    The important thing to know that, this line designed as 400 kv quadruple conductor ACAR , but temporary energized as 115 kv

Did this the reason to not hearing any buzzing sound?
    Did there is any standard to testing the line for this case?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv View Post
    Buzzing a circuit through the use of a live line tool is one of the methods performed by linemen to ensure that features being worked on have been isolated.

This process touching the metal cap at the end of a live line tool to the conductor.

If the voltage is high enough to produce a buzzing sound, the circuit is considered energized.

If the buzz is not heard, the line is to be considered isolated.

Last week one of lineman crew get outage for 115kv line to do some de energized maintenance
    By mistake they went to life circuit and test the line by touching the metal cap at the end of a live line tool to the conductor.
    then no any buzzing sound herring.

Then they install personal ground ....the line get trip with big arc!!
    The important thing to know that, this line designed as 400 kv quadruple conductor ACAR , but temporary energized as 115 kv

Did this the reason to not hearing any buzzing sound?
    Did there is any standard to testing the line for this case?
    Thanks
    Be careful...red flag....if you guys are relying on sound....I suspose it was a dry day ,low humidity,maybe even traffic in the background...or some type of noise.

UMMMMMM FUZZING THE LINE TO dETERMINE IF ITS HOT WAS A POOR PRACTISE as it waS unreliable due to eternal noise. I bleve it has been out lawed in most places and rightly so they now make voltage detectors that attach to a hot line tool and have an alarm that can be heard under all conditions.including from the ground A. great many linemen suffer from hearing loss& i am one of em

Default Testers over here

We use voltage testing equipment that are purely lights....

We have a voltage maker to test the tester before and after use..

It's a little hand generator... We switch the tester on.. " green light " ..... We then use our little voltage generator and place this on the tester..light goes red... Remove voltage source... Place test equipment on the overhead line .... If it stays green.. The lines dead.. If it go,s red its still live...
    Then AND MOST IMPORTANTLY. " we re test the tester after use..to make sure it's still working.
    We then apply our drain earths..

The time between testing and applying earths" drains" should be no more than 5 minutes..
    We actually always do it almost instantly.. SO as soon as we are finished testing we put the drains on straight away........
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Blog Entries

Doesnt matter that the line was built for a higher voltage, has nothing to do with it. The example you give is the reason we dont EVER buzz a line to determine if its energized. I havent tested a line that way in over 35 years.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

I agree with the seniors here, Buzzing is not a good practice. We often have one circuit on one side of a tower and another on the otherside. Just the induction from an energized circuit to the de-energized side can make a buz till it gets grounded. That's why using a tester like Bren explained is the way to go.

On a dry hot windy day a de-energized circuit can develope enough static to knock you clean on your can, so test the tester, test the line and test the tester again before you apply grounds in rubber gloves with a hot stick. Work safe.

NESC requires the use of an approved voltage detector and one is supposed to be standard equipment for every line crew. OSHA issued a letter of interpretation a number of years ago forbidding the use of "fuzzing" or "buzzing" for all voltages below 8kV. As others have noted, it is not a reliable method for any voltage.
    I don't give em hell, I just tell the truth and they think it is Hell! - Truman

We have a hastings phase/tel on every bucket truck that we use as a primary volt meter and to hi-pot URD cables as well on distribution voltages, on transmission we have a couple of Saliisbury testers and an HD Electric tester, but I do remember when we didn't have a tester on every truck and buzzing the line was done prior to installing grounds, I suspect that there are still some outfits out there even today who still don't have a tester or primary phase meter on every bucket.

I know the utility here doesnt have a tester/phasing tool on each truck,although money isnt the problem.I remember back in the olden days there were people that swore by the buzzing practice,its a dangerous way to do linework if you ask me.

Featured Sponsorr

Buzzing a line to prove isolation is a huge no no. Thats what they make potential indicators for . There are many styles. Some have just lights , some have lights and alarms, some have sweep meters. The sweep meters are my favorite, You can easily tell if the line is energized at primary voltage or if something else is energizing the line such as induction. If it is induction it gives you an idea of how much and makes you realize you don't play with that baby you slap them grounds on fast and firm, no fooling around. I have watched guys using a lights and buzzer meter , install grounds believing the line is totally dead, and get very surprised when they draw an arc as they are placing the ground. Induction can be huge and just as dangerous as grounding a live phase.Knowing what you are working with is everything. Get a potential indicator with a sweep meter and if you want lights and buzzers get that too, if that cranks you up.