Default poles in the middle of sidewalks

Featured Sponsor

Here,on the east end of the city people are complaining about the poles located in the middle of sidewalks.These pole have maybe been there for years,but as the city is trying to clean up the city in this certain area,new sidewalks have been built.Well we all know that the utility will be blamed,and that utility is Centerpoint Energy....But it seems that there is a federal law saying this is all fine....the catch is that there has to be at least a 32 inch clearance on one side of that sidewalk....I didnt know that,did you?......years ago those poles never bothered anyone....ohh I FORGOT,we didnt have cell phones back then.

What came first the pole or the side walk? Often times what happens here is the city widens streets move side walks and before you know it the poles are right in the middle of the side walk. The best is when the city ask's us to move the poles we say sure thing. Write up an estimate send it to the city and tell them we will began after a 25% deposit is secured. That's often where it ends.

What do you do when the sidewalk runs from the road to the buildings? He he, I guess that would be up to them engineer geniuses.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Here,on the east end of the city people are complaining about the poles located in the middle of sidewalks.These pole have maybe been there for years,but as the city is trying to clean up the city in this certain area,new sidewalks have been built.Well we all know that the utility will be blamed,and that utility is Centerpoint Energy....But it seems that there is a federal law saying this is all fine....the catch is that there has to be at least a 32 inch clearance on one side of that sidewalk....I didnt know that,did you?......years ago those poles never bothered anyone....ohh I FORGOT,we didnt have cell phones back then.
    Same in uk 32inch put up some steel poles round Newcastle few years ago within a week
    they changed the pavement and the press came round and took pics
    Got twice the cash for the same pole happy days

Wonder where they got the 32inch thing from.... I might be wrong but it could be to allow wheel chair access
    engineers aren,t god,s

Thats what I was thinking Neil,for wheelchairs,but really dont know who or why for sure.Another thing done here for ages is the utility would set poles right in the middle of small ditches,even when there was room on each side to set the poles,guess it helped the poles to rot faster.

6. Default

How does your company charge to move poles like that . Truck charge the price of the men on the job How does Your company work that

Quote Originally Posted by brs View Post
    How does your company charge to move poles like that . Truck charge the price of the men on the job How does Your company work that
    Our design department will write up a job for all the material, time and men including any outage and switching that may be required to relocate the pole/ poles.

Featured Sponsorr

Here, like other places will wait it out,let mother nature take care of the poles,a good storm,then replace...it used to not be like that,maintenance isnt in a utilitys dictionary these days.