Default lineschools/apprenticeships

Featured Sponsor

I know nothing about the line schools,Ill admit it.I also would think apprentice schools have change too.But ,if I rember correctly,there wasnt too much info on grounding.I mean we did ground some,like if we were building lines under highline easements,but that was pretty much it.Most information came by actually working in the field.Being that theres way too many accidents concerning grounding,I would hope it was taught more in those classes,maybe twice...the second time,right before the class is over.....What part of the trade do you think needs to be looked at more closely in those classes?

i went to NLC, and grounding was an important topic. we had academic training/ education on the different grounding methods and also an actual demonstration showing the differences in current flow through a worker while using bracket grounding and EPZ grounding.

installing grounds in the field was also part of the training...it was a competency that was practiced over a dozen times and to pass you had to install epz grounds in 6 or 8 minutes while following rules, MAD, climbing techniques, etc...

I have been working in Ottawa lately and the local college runs these pre-apprentice courses and use hydro's training yard. Interesting show. I haven't yet seen them put grounds on. They have been doing simulated live jobs such as relocating conductor to a higher pole. They climb. But I do see a lot of bad mistakes, like the groundmen underneath the man in the air. I would think they would concentrate on he very basics. I see this pre-apprentice thing as a cash grab by the colleges. Everybody has always learned on the job, thats what an apprenticeship is all about, starting green and working up to a skilled lineman, although I'm still learning how to be a skilled lineman and I am in my 25th year!!!

Featured Sponsorr

Back in the day it could be seen often,two men in hooks on the pole,sometimes 3 a jy or two and a apprentice.None would begin climbing until the one before was buckeled off.Now ,with the new (tool) I wonder if its still done that way.Thats if the crew has enough qualified climbers in the first place.