Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hooks

1. Default Hooks

Featured Sponsor

Looking to get some new hooks, can someone please explain the purpose of the twisted shank climbers! What purpose does the "twist" serve?

Some swear by the twisted shank climbers, I never wore them. I had straight shank and didn't see the need to change. They say they are more comfortable, maybe, but I believe it's a matter of what each person wants to wear. I guess the answer is if you feel better climbing in one style or the other go with what works for you. See if you can get a pair of Twisted shank and use them for a week before you buy a set.

3. Default

I understand they say there more comfortable, but how are they more comfortable? What does the twist do compared to straight?

ummmmmmm it may cause your ankle to flex to a more comfortable angle but I wont swear to that

Quote Originally Posted by grunt2012 View Post
    I understand they say there more comfortable, but how are they more comfortable? What does the twist do compared to straight?
    It changes how it goes up your leg from the bottom shank... one is not better then the other, it's a preference... wearing kleins, i needed twisted... using buckinghams and bashlin, straights felt more comfortable... u will find out real quick if you like them or not.

Cool Hooks!

I was issued a new pair of Hooks and they were the twisted shank,hated them. Everyone is different,so as stated before it is a personal choice,I used Bashlin Aluminum. Retired Lineman
    Grumpy

7. Default

They say they're twisted to "lay flat and more comfortably on your leg." I find they just make your pads slide around and the shank comes off your leg to the back.

8. Default

I was told it's easier for the gaff to go into the pole, you don't to "walk like a duck"!

The thing that makes the gaff easier to go into the pole, is the poles willingness to accept the gaff. . . . .A gas treated pine pole don't much care what shank you opt for it's a tough stick and a fat old cedar will welcome you all day long in whatever you choose. Once you get to where you are going on any stick, and you get to work, those gaffs will slowly work their way into the wood, if you spend any time up there. Better get something you are comfortable in. . . OH now a days everyone uses Buckets and climbing is just an after thought anyway

Default Duck footed

Featured Sponsorr

First time I ever climbed it felt natural to me in straight hooks. I later learned that is because I am literally duck footed.