Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Does SELCAT have work

Featured Sponsor

I'm applying for SELCAT, and was wondering if they have work.

Called NW Line and they are telling apprentices go get experience, theres no real work for apprentices. I have friends in the Mt. States and SW. Line working well, and it got me thinking about SELCAT s work, and if they have much going?

Anyone work for SELCAT th at may know? Kinda figure with fall/winter comin there should work.

2. Default

Bump, anybody?!

I hear there isnt much work out that way from one person, but take that with a grain of salt.

4. Default

I'm a selcat Apprentice 6th step, and was just off for two months and am now working up in Ohio if that tells you anything

hmmmmmmmmmmm..

6. Default

Really? Man thats rough.

7. Default

Yeah buddy, expect to be waiting on hot time to top out and to have to travel up north for it. That 3-4 years and done thing is no more. I was a 5th step for over a year before I got any hot work..

Albat and neat seem to have a better program

8. Default

What makes you say that? What in your opinion makes them better? More work, or what? SELCAT is my 1st choice mountain states is my 2nd, so I'm curious thanks

All the 9 programs are equal. It is no different than any other profession the work can move in and out of any area. The great thing is you can get moved to the areas that have the type of work you need to fulfil your traing requirements to become a Journeyman Lineman. So I would not worry about where you apply and if you wish you can apply to any and all. Good luck on your future career.
    Ed Mings
    International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
    International Representative
    Construction and Maintenance Department

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

The problem selcat is lack of hot work in the south, all the nonunion contractors picked it up.. you'll get work granted but the majority will be transmission. Like I said I was a 5th step for a year and a half until I go my hands on any dist and it's all been up north and by 5th step they expect you to know dist because there aps have been around it. It was ok for me as I had good teachers and learned fast but I've seen alot of selcat aps get eaten alive up here for lack of dist exp. You can expect to be in the program a good 1-2 years longer than expected not necessarily a bad thing but just a heads up.