1. Default What is life like for union apes?

Featured Sponsor

New guy here applying to union apprenticeships and wondering what life is like on the road? I understand some guys get a camper and pull around to job sites, but as a new guy it would be hard for me to afford one.

Overall, I'm just looking to have an idea as what to expect for avg. days and hours... length of jobs etc. I'm 33, single, and no kids, so I can pretty much go with the flow, but I would still like to get an idea of life on the road. Appreciate if you union guys can tell me how it works.

Alot ofguys have campers and big diesels. It wont take long to save up for one. I like to stay in motels even though it may be more expensive. Splitting a room is easier once you make friends. Jobs vary usually long term jobs seem to be where your placed. Alot of drinking at the motel or rv parks. Work is all you do.

3. Default what is life like for union apes

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Alot ofguys have campers and big diesels. It wont take long to save up for one. I like to stay in motels even though it may be more expensive. Splitting a room is easier once you make friends. Jobs vary usually long term jobs seem to be where your placed. Alot of drinking at the motel or rv parks. Work is all you do.
    I spent many years "chasing the money". I made a lot of money, learned a great deal about the trade and worked on many different systems. While it was a lot of fun, it is very easy to get burned out. I always stayed in motels except on a few occasions where a couple of us would rent a rental house and split the bill. Like ntxhand mentioned, 'work is all you do'....

4. Default

I'm a current selcat ape, 6th step. I'm working over a thousand miles away from the house right now to get my hot time, as a selcat apprentice except nothing less than to be in from 4-6 years to top out, there is hardly any dist work in the south and selcat requires 2500 hours to top out.

I've been in for for about 4 1/2 /5yrs and still need about 8-9 months straight of hot time.

Just a little heads up as they tend to lie and give you the whole 2/3 years plenty of work speech.

Like its been said, you'll get in and get sent to work if its in selcats area you have to take it, out you may turn it down. You go to the contractor work until you get laid off and go back on the books.. depending on the time of year and work you can expect to me off from a couple of weeks to 4 months (longest ive been off)

I've done my share of hotelin and have a camper. I enjoy using the camper alot more when I can more privacy and peace

I've been on two week short calls to 8month to a year big jobs just depends on the call.

Goodluck to ya

5. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk13 View Post
    I'm a current selcat ape, 6th step. I'm working over a thousand miles away from the house right now to get my hot time, as a selcat apprentice except nothing less than to be in from 4-6 years to top out, there is hardly any dist work in the south and selcat requires 2500 hours to top out.

I've been in for for about 4 1/2 /5yrs and still need about 8-9 months straight of hot time.

Just a little heads up as they tend to lie and give you the whole 2/3 years plenty of work speech.

Like its been said, you'll get in and get sent to work if its in selcats area you have to take it, out you may turn it down. You go to the contractor work until you get laid off and go back on the books.. depending on the time of year and work you can expect to me off from a couple of weeks to 4 months (longest ive been off)

I've done my share of hotelin and have a camper. I enjoy using the camper alot more when I can more privacy and peace

I've been on two week short calls to 8month to a year big jobs just depends on the call.

Goodluck to ya

I appreciate that info Berserk! I live in SELCAT area but have considered going elsewhere if it means the work and training will be steadier. Hope things pick up for you soon.