Default another two part question

Featured Sponsor

Is anyone still writing down the serial numbers down when you install a transformer or remove a transformer,the manufacture and all,we used too but I believe they went away with that,I cant recall if we ever did that with capacitors unless it contained PCBs.....2nd Q....does your supervisor walk down the dock and mingle with the lineman in the mornings or is he just a desk type of Sup.We had one that would go down the dock occasionally just to b/s with us,I think he enjoyed it and we did also,never knew what he would do,he might want to look at your hooks,belt,maybe ask about the girl you took to a cook off.Some even seemed scared to walk down the dock,maybe cause they knew that they were disliked.

Post Yes

We still record transformer info on installs and removes. Other equipment, caps, regulators, OCRs all have a company ID number and that is all we record.
    Yes I occasionially walk the dock but more often they come to me. As long as the door is open they can come in and bring anything to me. Sometimes they don't like the answer; but they get an answer with the reason.

The co. was real anal about writing down the ser. #, impedance, pole #, what phase it was connected on. What really ticked me off was when the had a problem with a certain run of transformers instead off checking the records to see where the suspect trans. were they would just tell us to look out for that type of trans.if we happened across them to watch out in cases the secondary switch would go to ground or some other type of malfunction. Again putting on the shoulders of the poor SOB that happened to operate a defective piece of equip. When I made a stink about that was a piss poor way to run a business all I got was the info we wrote down was for taxing purpose and they didn't have a way to retrieve the info to look for suspect equipment. The second part of the question is the are so short of help the supivisor spends all his time in the office juggling numbers, god forbid they precheck a job or something

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    We still record transformer info on installs and removes. Other equipment, caps, regulators, OCRs all have a company ID number and that is all we record.
    Yes I occasionially walk the dock but more often they come to me. As long as the door is open they can come in and bring anything to me. Sometimes they don't like the answer; but they get an answer with the reason.
    Thanks for the info Thrasher,what types of injuries have you seen or heard about concerning those that happen while still in the plant/barn....vehicle accidents,loading & un-loading accidents,ect?

Default Accidents in the yard

We have had someone turn over a fork lift while trying to move a trailer. We had a guy break his wrist when he tried to move the poles in the rack to make them more even and the whole pile let go. We had a guy step over the tongue of a trailer, snag his heel in the safety chains and break his ankle. Before my time we had a guy called in on trouble who was actually drunk and he wrecked two trucks in the parking lot (he was fired the next morning). Just another day in paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    We have had someone turn over a fork lift while trying to move a trailer. We had a guy break his wrist when he tried to move the poles in the rack to make them more even and the whole pile let go. We had a guy step over the tongue of a trailer, snag his heel in the safety chains and break his ankle. Before my time we had a guy called in on trouble who was actually drunk and he wrecked two trucks in the parking lot (he was fired the next morning). Just another day in paradise.
    We had similar accidents,a few fingers caught between the trailer tongue and the truck,a few vehicle accidents,,more than a few bin doors and truck doors damaged while in the barn,a butt of a pole almost killing a guy cause the winch backlashed,a helper that was me requiring stiches from an accident while loading wire onto a morgan winder,hand was pinched....and there has to be more,just cant recall now.....one lineman took out the barricades that protected the gate card scanner,he took out the scanner also.....back in the day there was more than one incident with the old flip over jibs.One inside guy broke his arm while washing his hands,a slip.

7. Default

We record all serial numbers on transformers in a folder and old transformers reclosures capcitors and the likes of that nature then we also send every copy to our engineering firm. We have an administrator(utilities director) try to relate tree trimming and fiber optic cable boring too linework and apparently after seeing a pad mount wired up he retained it so he is now a qualified pad mount transformer expert. Then we have a street superintendent that believes he should be a lineman he knows it all hes hung a cross arm once and can work three phase now. Im just an apprentice so I dont know nothin compared too these guys

Quote Originally Posted by rustyhook39 View Post
    We record all serial numbers on transformers in a folder and old transformers reclosures capcitors and the likes of that nature then we also send every copy to our engineering firm. We have an administrator(utilities director) try to relate tree trimming and fiber optic cable boring too linework and apparently after seeing a pad mount wired up he retained it so he is now a qualified pad mount transformer expert. Then we have a street superintendent that believes he should be a lineman he knows it all hes hung a cross arm once and can work three phase now. Im just an apprentice so I dont know nothin compared too these guys
    Theres always going to be those types.There is most likely a payless shoe guy that thinks he knows more about linework than anyone,he may have hear the term linefuse from the news and now is an expert....everyones been an apprentice at on time or another....there are some really sharp apprentices out there,I hate to say it but some are sharper than some JYs.

9. Default

Haha ya I try too stay sharp and ontop of everything and the safety of the of the two guys I have in the air not the well being of people who critisize what we are doing and why its taking so long.

Featured Sponsorr

We had one accident in another center where horseplay was involved,one guy was backing up against the dock in a double bucket with a trailer attached,and pined another against the dock,I cant give the full details but the injured guy never waked the same afterwards.I know this because he was the one that told me it was horseplay.....years and years went by and somehow it kind of remained a secret as to how it occured,anyone else would have most likely died,but not this corn fed lineman....he was strong as an ox....believe me.