Default oilfield lines with a neutral but a delta line?

Featured Sponsor

hey im just an app and nobody can give me an answer i work with so here goes the question..... why is there a neutral when the line is a delta out in the oilfields? all the transformers are hooked up delta on the primary so whats the deal?? also does the ''neutral/ground/or???'' have the same potential of being dangerous like on a wye system?? sorry if its a stupid? but these oilfield guys are a joke and i cant get a answer... also.... say there is a capacitor bank 10 spans away and you go up to change... lets say you have to change a insulator.... the line gets killed and my lineman goes up without gloves or grounding the line and goes to change the insulator bare handed... what is the possibility of getting zapped from the cap bank? just wondering because they never ground it out here and there are cap banks that i know are never disconnected when the lines are worked on so im just curious about procedure and what can and cant happen... yes i know i need to get out of this oilfield bs and go utility but this is just my foot in the door and i am looking and applying at many utility companies

Ummmmmmm working something as dead without gloves or grounds is just plain foolhardy.There are so many things that can go wrong that it would take a book to list em all.As far as that extra wire is concerned they may be using it for the lightening arrestors, or the circuit could have been wye at one time.Ask yourself if they were to built a primary extension for a span or two would they also string in a neutral along with it? Its been my experience that a great many of the oilfield hands are not linemen but shade tree electricians.

well yes like i said the oilfield guys are a joke and cant wait to leave this bs... and all our new construstion has a neutral but like you said about the arrestors it makes sense to have a neutral for that to work.. i never thought about that would be the reason untill you mentioned it... and yes i agree i do think they are shade tree electricians ... my company offers a department of labor journyman app cert but im not doing it for the simple fact is they are a joke and i thank school to realize this othewise id probably do it all and think things are fine.... i was prompted from a grunt to an app and now regret accepting the offer... they have guys working primary within a year and less and that to me is unacceptable....

Default Ground it

Featured Sponsorr

If its not grounded, its not dead. Follow this basic rule and you will live long and prosper. Is there any equipment hooked to the pri. nutrel?Old farm hand saying "look up chicken,check the feed" P.S. ask you next "white ticket lineman " if a capacitor bank holds a charge, when you see him take a jolt, ask him if he just had a musical spasm. That should check his scene of hummer.