1. Default Got a job! Midland/Eastland TX

Featured Sponsor

Thanks goes out to all of you that gave advice and encouragement!

I couldn't have done it without you guys!

I am going to work for Bird Electric in TX around the end of April and begining my career like so many others before me as a non-union contractor.

Any further advice? Any warnings? I have been through line school (NLC) some guys think that doesn't make a hand any better but at least now I can climb so the 13 large couldn't have been all bad.

I am also thankfull to all the instructors who emphasised safety. I just read the article on the worker who died and it's a sobering moment.

I will be safe!

Thanks all!

congrats, start looking for a place to live man!!! seriously start looking for a place to live man.... its hard to get a place to live here in midland... there usually is a nice wait list to get into any apartment... and yes i agree nlc doesnt make a hand much better.... but you will defenetly understand electrical theory and safty a hell of a lot more than most people working for these contractors out in midland/odessa...... all that **** in school about attitude... well yes they tell you that for a reason.... keep a good attitude man and dont be cocky and say ''well in school they tought me to do it this way'' you will meet many *******s out here and also alot of nice people at work... dont let the *******s get to you... as far as safty practices go.... well its not always what should be done... use what you learned from school and stick with all the safty crap and say NO if your not comftrable doing something... its a world of difference between guys that went to school and the guys who are from the area and its just another job to them... they dont understand safty and proper ways to do things.."the non nlc local guys looked at me weird when i put rubbers on to hot set a pole" dont move to odessa... its a ****hole, midland is alot better.... not a beautiful place to live but midland isnt horrible... get used to not buying a bottle past 9pm and not getting a bottle on sunday..... no beer past 12am and no beer till 12pm on sundays... people here suck at driving but they are friendly... live off the 250 loop... nicer area of midland... and the palms is the best place to live here as far as being new and next to everything... i can walk a short distance to go get drunk and walk home to a beautiful apartment.. great location.... like i said, be prepared to work with some real *******s or be lucky to get a nice forman... and if ya do get an ******* dont let the **** bother you... and be ready for all the beautiful lease roads!! any questions just pm me

Quote Originally Posted by makohon View Post
    congrats, start looking for a place to live man!!! seriously start looking for a place to live man.... its hard to get a place to live here in midland... there usually is a nice wait list to get into any apartment... and yes i agree nlc doesnt make a hand much better.... but you will defenetly understand electrical theory and safty a hell of a lot more than most people working for these contractors out in midland/odessa...... all that **** in school about attitude... well yes they tell you that for a reason.... keep a good attitude man and dont be cocky and say ''well in school they tought me to do it this way'' you will meet many *******s out here and also alot of nice people at work... dont let the *******s get to you... as far as safty practices go.... well its not always what should be done... use what you learned from school and stick with all the safty crap and say NO if your not comftrable doing something... its a world of difference between guys that went to school and the guys who are from the area and its just another job to them... they dont understand safty and proper ways to do things.."the non nlc local guys looked at me weird when i put rubbers on to hot set a pole" dont move to odessa... its a ****hole, midland is alot better.... not a beautiful place to live but midland isnt horrible... get used to not buying a bottle past 9pm and not getting a bottle on sunday..... no beer past 12am and no beer till 12pm on sundays... people here suck at driving but they are friendly... live off the 250 loop... nicer area of midland... and the palms is the best place to live here as far as being new and next to everything... i can walk a short distance to go get drunk and walk home to a beautiful apartment.. great location.... like i said, be prepared to work with some real *******s or be lucky to get a nice forman... and if ya do get an ******* dont let the **** bother you... and be ready for all the beautiful lease roads!! any questions just pm me
    Where the hell did you live where you can buy liquor after 9? And its no beer after 1 am on Saturday. I'm just down the road in Snyder.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Thanks goes out to all of you that gave advice and encouragement!

I couldn't have done it without you guys!

I am going to work for Bird Electric in TX around the end of April and begining my career like so many others before me as a non-union contractor.

Any further advice? Any warnings? I have been through line school (NLC) some guys think that doesn't make a hand any better but at least now I can climb so the 13 large couldn't have been all bad.

I am also thankfull to all the instructors who emphasised safety. I just read the article on the worker who died and it's a sobering moment.

I will be safe!

Thanks all!

Looks like we'll be working together. I'm supposed to start a couple weeks into May. Feel free to share your experience the first week or so

midland tx... and liquor i mean liquor.. not beer, theres not one liquor store in midland open after 9pm... yes you can get beer in the grocery store past 9 but i dont consider beer liquor

Ummmmmmmmm In texas all liquor stores close at Nine and they dont open till 10 am and nun of em iz open on Sunday. If'n ya wanna drank after nine ya hafta go somehweres n buy it by the drink. Gas stations dont sell liquor, nor do seven elevens or grocery stores. Ummmmmmm But knowin that in advance just whos fault izzit on Sunday morin or midnite tuesday when yer thirsty and aint got none?

Featured Sponsorr

I was surprised that in Flordia the liquor stores were open on sundays,and they didnt have state inspections for their vehicles.But in Collier county watch out weather your drinking or not..........one thing I can say about the midland area is that it is as boring as boring can be......so you guys that are in that area might have to settle for a 4 or 5 when it comes to women...........10 being the best.....i can see a guy drinking it up in that hell hole.