Default Transitioning Military Member

Featured Sponsor

Hello,

I am transitioning out of the Coast Guard next summer. I want to get a job in the energy industry, particularly with Power Distribution. But a job is a job and I want to get my foot in the door. I am currently and E5 AET, Aviation Electrical Technician.

Here is my basic job description currently in a nutshell,
    AET's inspect, service, maintain, troubleshoot and repair aircraft batteries, AC and DC power generation, conversion and distribution systems, as well as the electrical control and indication functions of all airframe systems, including hydraulics, flight control, landing gear, fuel, environmental control, power plant, drive train, anti-ice, and fire detection.
    I am moving back to the North West and am going to start applying for the Bonneville Power Administration apprenticeship program for the 2013 year. I dont not want to put all my eggs in one basket,. I am interested in jobs that involved power distribution, generation and the like.

I have an associate’s degree in Electro-Mechanical technologies, military electrical and electronics training, and a lot of OJT hands on working electrical on aircraft, 6 years in current position.

Do you guys know of other programs or any training I should look into? I have a good plan set and putting it in motion, but any advice at this point is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

Ummmm you mite wanna investigate a substation mechanics job with one of the power companies.

Or even a protection and control job

check a couple of these pages out should help you a little....

http://www.nwlinejatc.com/

http://www.albat.org/v3/index.php

good luck in your search

If you going to apply for an interesting job,Id suggest the secret service,they might have a few openings right about now,,,hey its worth a try........just watch out for the women that you may meet.

6. Default

BPA, I believe, is G&T. I had a chance to get on with them right out of line school years ago but, they wanted me to remain a student for a few months until they were ready to hire me. They have a prerequisite either ex-military or a student, or @ least they did then. They are a solid company, Dept of Energy, I couldn't afford to remain in school so I had to take another route. You should have a pretty good shot because of your service. The jatc's are really slow moving right now because of the economy, especially west coast, I had to go to neat because of it and I'll probably end up wraping up my last few hours in albat territory. My brother and a pile of my friends are military so I know they prepare you guys well as long as you apply yourself. The civilian programs are probably not going to pay much attention to what you recieved in service, which is bogus but, maybe your situation will be different.

Default inside wireman

Stop by the hall,give them the same story,tell them you want to take the next apprentice test.

Hey thanks guys. Sorry I didnt respond sooner, been a busy week at work. I am shooting for BPA, but again keeping things open. I do have my GI bill for school as well if nothing pans out right away.

BPA still has the same requirements, school or ex-military. So I hope I will do well there.

Capt Bly, what is the Hall you speak off. Would love to try and test, or get the practice at least.

Thanks

Brian

Featured Sponsorr

Brian a lot of good advice. . .they left out one little thing. . . .

Thanks for the service you did for our country!

T