Threaded View

Default Transitioning Military Member

Hello,

I am transitioning out of the Coast Guard next summer. I want to get a job in the energy industry, particularly with Power Distribution. But a job is a job and I want to get my foot in the door. I am currently and E5 AET, Aviation Electrical Technician.

Here is my basic job description currently in a nutshell,
    AET's inspect, service, maintain, troubleshoot and repair aircraft batteries, AC and DC power generation, conversion and distribution systems, as well as the electrical control and indication functions of all airframe systems, including hydraulics, flight control, landing gear, fuel, environmental control, power plant, drive train, anti-ice, and fire detection.
    I am moving back to the North West and am going to start applying for the Bonneville Power Administration apprenticeship program for the 2013 year. I dont not want to put all my eggs in one basket,. I am interested in jobs that involved power distribution, generation and the like.

I have an associate’s degree in Electro-Mechanical technologies, military electrical and electronics training, and a lot of OJT hands on working electrical on aircraft, 6 years in current position.

Do you guys know of other programs or any training I should look into? I have a good plan set and putting it in motion, but any advice at this point is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian