Default from the outside trying to get in

Featured Sponsor

Hey y'all, how's it going? Im in the process of trying to become one of you. I applied years ago with Ameren for an apprenticeship. Didn't have experience, didn't have a CDL. The last 4 years I've been driving trucks, local delivery. Class A CDL. Its a great job, great pay, great company. But as one of the higher ups put it, we're the running backs of the company. Great pay, but the job makes ya old. Running up and down a ramp out of a truck 300-400 lbs on two wheeled dolley. And ya gotta run, if ya wanna meet the productivity they expect. I've applied with MO valley JATC. Have my first interview scheduled for Sept. With Local 2. That being 5 months away is there anything I can do as far as being proactive or am I gonna have to be patient. I bought all the hand tools, no climbing gear yet that's a big chunk of change. Got boots though so they wont be a B**** to break in when it comes time. What else should I be doing? Any advice for a wanna be?

Default use the forum

Spend some time on this forum. Its a great way of gleaning infomation. You won't understand a lot of what's being talked about. BUT don't be shy about asking questions. (We line men )do like to show off our knowledge. So don't be afrais of asking a "stupid question" there aint no such thing. If your gonna make it as a lineman remember. AINT NONE OF US SHY ......... :y

Good luck with your journey. Be lucky .
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

waitins the hard part!! Maybe try signin the books at your local as a grunt while yer waitin.. I dunno if theres any climbin schools around where yer from gettin some climbin in will give a an edge on some of the others applying and on signin the books, class As are a big thing to get out of the way.. Good luck bud hope the best

Go sign the books somewhere thats what i did. And now i have an interview thursday with swlcat

Quote Originally Posted by HookinAintEasy View Post
    waitins the hard part!! Maybe try signin the books at your local as a grunt while yer waitin.. I dunno if theres any climbin schools around where yer from gettin some climbin in will give a an edge on some of the others applying and on signin the books, class As are a big thing to get out of the way.. Good luck bud hope the best
    if I sign as a grunt, how would that work with a current job. Working 45-55 hours a week now. Got a house to pay for and such (****'d expensive american dream, haha)

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Go sign the books somewhere thats what i did. And now i have an interview thursday with swlcat
    I'll have to see about it, if I go sign. How's that work? Not to sound dumb, but new to the whole Union side of things. Been at the same company goin on 10 years now, started when I was 16. Havent seen much of the rest of the working world

I'm new to it as well, but all you do is call your local or thats what I did. And it was easy go up there fill out paper work and stuff and that's it. I'd ask about work first , check the job boards on ibew.org and that gives you a good idea where the work is. You'll have to travel most of the time, just sayin. good luck

Ya it is man but if you want it bad enough im sure youll find a way.. dont know what the scale is in your area but grunts around here make around 18 couple more if you have a cdl... if you get called to work bust your ass and theyll keep you buisy ... hope im helpin

Featured Sponsorr

Ahh gotcha. Bust my ass, that I can do. Ill give my local a call and a visit. See what I can do. Thank ya all