1. Default local 18/LADWP books?

Featured Sponsor

what's up guys,

I called local 18 today and the rep said that if you have ur pole climb cert. that you will be @ book 2? is that true? if so what's the wait time? and what exactly are you waiting for, employment with LADWP for a position or just for an as needed basis assignment? In addition, what's the difference between signing the ECH books (which she said is a 7 year wait...) and the book 2 (which she said is a 2-3 year wait)? has any1 went through this?

If you have your Cert. then yes you can sign book 2...however good luck youll probly be number 600 by now...im around number 200 or something...they seem to hire about 60 every 4-5 months..at that rate statistically it will be 2 years for me to get called..ill be hired somewhere else by then. If your book 3 or 4 youll never get in. Also ladwp is on a hire freeze for about 3 years so even if you took that ech test and got 100% you wont be getting in anytime soon..from what ive heard. The job is to start as an ECH and for an 18 month contract, nd you must score an apprenticeship by then or youll be jobless...risky. good luck man.

3. Default

thks for the input 7,

LADWP overated? hell yeah! lol.

4. Default

josh,

Long Beach in the house!!!??? or not? lol, j/k I see 562 so I automatically think long beach/cerritos area...but hey on a serious note, it looks like ur time is coming brother! How long did you have to wait to be #30 on book #1? and how do you get bumped from book #2 to book #1? timeframe also?and another ? is if you sign book #2, do you still have to take the ECH test? and by signing the books are you signing for ECH or pre-utility trainee @ #2? you mentioned it's a step below ECH, I didn't know that! I thought ECH was the lowest ape, equivalent to a groundman/grunt. Am I wrong? any1 else know about this? Thxs for the input though brother!

Quote Originally Posted by 909preapprentice View Post
    josh,

Long Beach in the house!!!??? or not? lol, j/k I see 562 so I automatically think long beach/cerritos area...but hey on a serious note, it looks like ur time is coming brother! How long did you have to wait to be #30 on book #1? and how do you get bumped from book #2 to book #1? timeframe also?and another ? is if you sign book #2, do you still have to take the ECH test? and by signing the books are you signing for ECH or pre-utility trainee @ #2? you mentioned it's a step below ECH, I didn't know that! I thought ECH was the lowest ape, equivalent to a groundman/grunt. Am I wrong? any1 else know about this? Thxs for the input though brother!
    hey 909, no you dont need to take the ech test for the union to send you to work..your automatically an ech just on contract...as far as that pre utility gig..it sounds good but theres no guarantee youll get a ech position after 18 months...thats why i didnt sign that book..id rather start as ech than someone lower..itll be years before you become an apprentice if at all...but everyone has different situations and ideas..do what you feel is best bro

6. Default

Sounds like you guys need to get the hell out of ladwp area, there's linework all over the country bro. Go get it, it won't come to you unless your really lucky!!! I left socal in June 2010, have worked every region and have about 1000 hrs left to be a ibew JL. Once I have that ticket then I'll look to heading home. Your decision, choose wisely.

I hear ya I need to get outta hear
    No calls in so cal

8. Default in the situation!

Featured Sponsorr

Man ur right....I am limited to only the so cal area. I have found that their are tons of other regions that are in need on groundman/apes; however ibew JATC's are slowing up....so ur chances of union arent too well unless you get lucky. Someone plz help me out though....i really wanna go through the ibew jatc apeship...however; as far as being a groundman in 1245/47 local areas...we all know the work can be unpredictable and we depend on dispatch. I figure I go work for a rat contractor (non-union) for a year or two to get experience then apply...what do ya'll think? P.S. i only have Class A CDL, OSHA 30 hour and ARC CPR/AED card. Any suggestions? Secondly, considering what i just said, i'm kinda in a ****ty mess right now as far as my personal life. My "baby momma" and I, arent in the best of terms and we share a 2 year old daughter. I feel if I left my daughter for a couple of years to pursue my journey ticket elsewere, she won't be raised, in let's just say "favorable" conditions. In other words, I just don't want her to know her mother and how she is ONLY!!! So it's like do I choose pursuing my career, as far as doing my apeship somewere across the country other then CAL/NEV, then return back to socal in 6-7 years or do I just stay here, struggle financially and pray something within CAL/NEV opens up, at the same time being able to see and be with my daughter. also just to mention I'm gettting put on child support too....lmao (not really), so i have to factor in all of that...