Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default where do you tie a bank

Featured Sponsor

ok,here we go,where do you make the ties on your transformer banks,do you prefer to tie the transformers together up high at the secondary bushings or do you tie down below before the conductors go into a weatherhead......I was brought up tying them up near the bushings,seems easier for me when I trouble shoot ..........for the guys that tie below,is that how you were taught or is it just the way you like doing it?

we allways tie up at the secondary bushings, all we use on our system is the alternate transformer connection (210' displacement) so its a real clean installation, it seems like the places that tie at the weatherhead are usually the ones that use the standard connection (30').

Up high by the transformer bushings, I have seen them tied down low at other places and I didn't care for it, I have also seen Open Delta banks with the lighting pot on one pole and the power pot a span away on the next pole with the tie legs being the open wire secondary,I thought that was a cluster to.

Default never have I even thought about that one

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Up high by the transformer bushings, I have seen them tied down low at other places and I didn't care for it, I have also seen Open Delta banks with the lighting pot on one pole and the power pot a span away on the next pole with the tie legs being the open wire secondary,I thought that was a cluster to.
    Thats has to be the best one Ive heard,never have seen that done........if I saw it Id say .....what kind of $hit is this,but it works and it is a tie........let me picture this,umm open wire tie from one pole to the next pole,yeap that a long tie.

NFL,,guess that open delta is better than having a closed delta on 3 poles?

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Ive also noiced that you guys must use lots of subtractive polarity transformers,your opened delta banks are the opposite of ours,,,here we generally place our lighter transformers in the middle just under b/0 and the power trans is to the right,there the power is placed to the left,is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Ive also noiced that you guys must use lots of subtractive polarity transformers,your opened delta banks are the opposite of ours,,,here we generally place our lighter transformers in the middle just under b/0 and the power trans is to the right,there the power is placed to the left,is that correct?
    We use additive polarity transformers in our banks, with the exception of I believe our 167 kva's are subtractive polarity, a lot of other company's with dual primary voltages around us use the sub polarity transformers, all our primary voltage is 7200. As far as how our 2 pot banks are built you will find them either way, the lighting pot could be tapped up to any phase.

Ummmmmmmmm I bleve almost all transformers smaller than 167 are additive. Ummmmmm The bigger pots are usually subtractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmmmmm I bleve almost all transformers smaller than 167 are additive. Ummmmmm The bigger pots are usually subtractive.
    Poot all the dual voltage transformers that I have seen are subtractive, regardless of kva, a lot of co-op's around this area have dual primary voltages and use the subtractive pots.

Featured Sponsorr

I reckon thats good to know......... we never had more than a handfulla dual voltage pots.