Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default stopping woodpeckers

Featured Sponsor

what does other utilitys do to stop woodpeckers from tearing up poles, we wrap the poles, set steels poles where we have big problems with woodpeckers. i had an old lienman tell me he has been nailing a small piece of alumnum tirewire to the crossarms, he said he has been doing this for the last 20+ years and the woodpeckers will not touch that poles. has anyone else heard of this. does anyone else know what will stop them? besides driving around with a gun. that kinda tears up the pole if you miss.

Quote Originally Posted by gwolf001 View Post
    what does other utilitys do to stop woodpeckers from tearing up poles, we wrap the poles, set steels poles where we have big problems with woodpeckers. i had an old lienman tell me he has been nailing a small piece of alumnum tirewire to the crossarms, he said he has been doing this for the last 20+ years and the woodpeckers will not touch that poles. has anyone else heard of this. does anyone else know what will stop them? besides driving around with a gun. that kinda tears up the pole if you miss.
    you do know what that old lineman was doing .............dont you?

3. Default

he told me that if you nail it to the pole and let lt dangle when the woodpecker pecks the vibraction will cause the bird to fly off, sounds like a load of crap but he swears by it

Default woodpeckers

Never heard of such a thing......But always willing to try.We would hard ware cloth the poles top to about 5ft off ground.{Chicken wire}If you go much lower the cows really like it for a back scratcher.Tear it off.Climbing these poles is really hard on the sleeves of your clothes.Be sure to go to top some people don't think woodpeckers fly very high but Ill tell you the static wires can't hold much when they bore threw @ the top.

Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    Never heard of such a thing......But always willing to try.We would hard ware cloth the poles top to about 5ft off ground.{Chicken wire}If you go much lower the cows really like it for a back scratcher.Tear it off.Climbing these poles is really hard on the sleeves of your clothes.Be sure to go to top some people don't think woodpeckers fly very high but Ill tell you the static wires can't hold much when they bore threw @ the top.
    That sounds interesting...but expensive.

Actually the Utilitys and Corps I've worked for, it had much more to do with the INSPECTORS, and how much they inspected and paid attention their systems. Ya need to know where's there a problem, to Fix it.

I'm not sure, what they're doin Nowdays to prevent woodpecker "assaults" on Powerpoles, aside from the "New Treatments" of the Wood poles, which supposidly make the poles "Nasty" to woodpeckers.

It use to break my heart to get a "Job" to go fill a "Woodpecker hole in a pole", with that hard "Foam ****" back in the day.
    3 times out of 5...that **** hole had babys in the hole....Every time, I said, "No. I ain't doin that ****".

Hardware cloth does very little good if the existing holes aint filled with sumpin first.It also will literally eat a safety or skid as some call em.WE used roofing cement( tar) and wooden paddles to fill em in, and then wrapped the hardware cloth down to about 10 feet from the base. I was told wayyyyyyyyyy back there that if a feller wanted to get rich all he needed to do was find a better way to deter them pekkerwoods.I was also told that the wind caused a slight vibration on the conductors and that was transferred to the pole and made the wood peckers think there were worms or sumpin crawlin around in the pole.But the holes they make are definately a safety hazard. I have seen flying squirrels, and snakes hanging out innem.Just imagine placing your unexpecting lil hand over a pekkerwood hole thats fulla sumpin tryin to get out as ya free climb.Its un nerving to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    I was told wayyyyyyyyyy back there that if a feller wanted to get rich all he needed to do was find a better way to deter them pekkerwoods.I was also told that the wind caused a slight vibration on the conductors and that was transferred to the pole and made the wood peckers think there were worms or sumpin crawlin around in the pole.
    That's interesting as he$l poot.

Had a pole, that was actually too shot to even, with the woodpecker hole... to try and "Fill".' The pole was Trash.

Told em "No, this pole ain't happenin, it's 75% gone...fill, ain't gonna do it." We were told to "Replace the pole".
    Hatched babies in the nest and all ...

We replaced the pole.

Cut off the 5' section of the old pole that held the woodpecker nest, and strapped it to the New pole. It was a straight, 3 Phase, run pole.
    No, it was not "approved". Fu$k em. Never even asked...

Did manage to stay on that contract to see the Birds, actualy leave their relocated nest.

Don't know what happened to the 5' section of that pole, with the nest we attatched to the new pole. For all I know...It's still there.

We use a slick black plastic that comes in rolls about 30' long, start about 10' to 15' off the ground and go to the top, they seem to have a hard time getting a grip on it to peck, as stated earlier we have had success cutting the old pole piece out with the nest in it and either banding it or bolting it to the new pole, seems like with most if you leave their home intact they won't try to hard to blast a new hole, have seen the hardware cloth in Louisiana it's rough on your arms and as others have said rough on your safety.

9. Default

thanks guys for the information. in our area we have what they call wood hens, they are about the size of a chicken. they will peck a 6' hole in a class 3 pole in about half a day we had a job one time to go out and fill hole and wrap with wire. came back the next day and the damm thing pecked thru the wire and made a new hole. need someone to train the to peck off the limbs that grow into our right of way

Default wood peckers

Featured Sponsorr

Woodpeckers caused our job today in lochness Scotland.

They seem to be a GLOBAL problem.

Pictures of they woodpecker effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !