Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ? for Mr. Bren Gruzzi

Featured Sponsor

First of all let me say sir that I really enjoy your posts! Not only are they well spoken but your pictures well they are sometimes just awesome!

and now for the question

You say that you use 100% fall restriction, what product do you use? I see that you are wearing a set of hooks made by Klien Tools if my eyes are correct (Give me your address and I'll send you a real set of hooks made by Bashlin hehe). but how do you guys handle Wood Pole Fall Restriction?

I see you have true fall arrest in one picture where your back d is connected to a lanyard inturn connected to the structure, but what do you use for the actual climbing?

We here at CVEC have went to 100% WPFR as of Jan1st this year and we allow the climber to use his choice of device--I was just curious as to what you guys use.

L.A.Martin
    Journeyman Div III
    CVEC
    There's no such thing as "The End Of The Line!"

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar

Default pictures speak louder than words.

OK. Its the law here (not just overhead lines) . Once your over 6ft off the ground . You must me secured / attached. That's why all our vans have ladder racks etc that can be operated from ground level. We wear a full body harnes with a pole belt that has a choker. We also have a stroop thhat chokes around the pole for when we have to undo our main belt because of obstacles. We must be attached at all times " no exceptions". We have a piece of kit called a swifrty rope ( that we rarely use) it a ataches a rope using a fibreglass pole around a x arm or similar . Once its attached you can use a slide chuck to climb the pole. I will take pictures when I get back on Monday.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

I guess I was more interested in whatproduct or climbing system you guys are using. Many Journeymen here at CVEC have gone with the DBI-sala "cynch-lok" system. Others use the Buckingham "bucksqueeze" products and a few use the miller and jelco systems.

I currently use the Bashlin system and on a really messed up pole that most would hitchhike I use the DBI product.

I was just wondering what system(s) you guys use for 100% WPFA. There are many and I like to have options.

So far my favorite one is my hooks.

L.A. Martin

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar

I know your questions are directed to Bren, just wondering if you have tried the Bashlin pole lariat? As close to free climbing as you can get, with 100% fall protection. A very simple and lightweight device, with one moving part that is been around for a long time in use with rock climbing. Having worked in Alaska, I know you can appreciate having a lightweight piece of equipment with minimal possibility of failure due to snow, mud, and other harsh environment conditions.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

I have been using the Jelco pole choker for about 10 years. Although I do not climb that much any more I found it really isn't much different than in the old days when you climbed poles that were too big to get your arms around. We just used our pole straps. I started in the trade free climbing, then we went to the posi-belt and then the Jelco pole choker.

I currently use the Bashlin pole lariat as my primary WPFR device. I was wondering What Mr. Guzzi and his co-workers use to assure 100% WPFR.

L.A.Martin
    Journeyman Div III
    CVEC

Default what we use

This is the harness etc we use.
    Full cresco harnes . Zorba fall arrest , and we use the cresco strap/poole choker. The little stap we use to get passed obstacles, or if we can we use the hook on its own on steelwork.

All made in. Norway "I think"
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Thx

Thank you Mr. Guzzi!

Sorry I misspelled your name in the thread name. I will do some research on the products and their availability here in the States. I am always looking for something to fit my some what unconventional style.

What other style of wood pole climbers are available to you gentlemen over the pond, and might I recommend you trade those Kliens in for a set of Bashlin BD14's?

Work Safely,

L.A.Martin
    Journeyman Div III
    CVEC

Default no choice

We've no choice . The company supplies kliens. So that's what we gotta use. I own a set of bashlins myself. But the kliens are fine.

If ya want to try something differnt. ?????? May I sugest sweedish climbers.

They usee them in ireland. Instead of spikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default please,dont fool us

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    We've no choice . The company supplies kliens. So that's what we gotta use. I own a set of bashlins myself. But the kliens are fine.

If ya want to try something differnt. ?????? May I sugest sweedish climbers.

They usee them in ireland. Instead of spikes.
    Your not up to your old tricks........are you.............the swiss hooks look sorta like a lawnmower handle...................................make my day..send the t-shirt soon.........thanks.