Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default rolling grounds

Featured Sponsor

I believe a rolling ground is a pain to use but I think it would be more effective.The rolling reel grounds are nice as long as your using the proper size grounding conductor.I've seen people attach # 6 copper on the reel wire and 1/0 copper clamp ground to it.Your really defeating the purpose of the 1/0 by doing this.It maybe easier attaching the #6 but what if? Is it really worth the chance.Consider the fault current available then use your proper size conductor to handle it if you choose to use a reel ground.

Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    I believe a rolling ground is a pain to use but I think it would be more effective.The rolling reel grounds are nice as long as your using the proper size grounding conductor.I've seen people attach # 6 copper on the reel wire and 1/0 copper clamp ground to it.Your really defeating the purpose of the 1/0 by doing this.It maybe easier attaching the #6 but what if? Is it really worth the chance.Consider the fault current available then use your proper size conductor to handle it if you choose to use a reel ground.
    If by rolling ground you mean travelling ground, ours install in seconds as far as wire size the min we use is 1/0 & all of the travellers that we ground in the air are proper grounded travellers that are also grounded with 1/0.

Default traveling ground

Yes,traveling ground is probably the proper name for this we just call it a rolling ground as a slang name.1/0 sounds right. Just making reference to not the reducing size just to make it easier to attach the wire to the wire on the reel using a rolling type bearing ground. This is what goes on the shaft that supports the wire reel .Then slap your 1/0 grounding jumper on your copper 1/0 tail you used to go from wire tail on reel to bearing type rolling ground . This will be attached then to the primary neutral and a screw in ground.

Just rereading thread, regarding travelling ground vs reel ground. In my opinion should be using both, as they are designed to bring everything on mat to same potential. With just using the reel ground there would likely be grease between the bar and the machine which would create a difference of potential between the wire and the mat, that is why using the travelling ground also brings the mat to the same potential. You would also have the mat and the first traveller connected to system neutral if available.

Default Reel Grounds

The Hubble reel ground is superior to any other type.This was invented by a lineman so Im told.Its very user friendly.After it is attached your not having to reattach,tighten your rolling ground because the rolling ground you have to loosen it and tie it off so it doesn't follow the wire up the line.The Hubble is never in the way.One suggestion thou if the wire came from the factory on the wrong side because you want the wire to come off the top of the reel,bond a piece of wire long enough to get to other side just run a piece of wire through the center of the reel(one of the holes on the side)tape it to a ground rod whatever and shove it through attach to your Hubble ground and your set till the wire is gone.Also follow company rules of corse and attach to ground rod or system neutral.
    Birdog37: "Remember we're all on a journey in life, the only difference is, some people know it and some people don't."

The Hubble reel ground is an essential part of tension stringing, but it should not be used without the travelling ground. The travelling ground can be put on very quickly and has a rope to stop it from going to far away. The problem like I said with only using the reel ground when doing proper tension stringing is the bar has grease between it and the tension machine which would cause a difference of potential. Proper tension stringing should be done on a mat that is bonded to the neutral (if available or ground rod) preferred, then the machine should be bonded to the mat, a travelling ground bonded to the mat and reel ground that helps bond the wire to the machine all creating an EPZ. Your first grounded traveller and any grounded traveller near energized conductors are used to clear the fault in the event of unplanned contact.

Default Traveling Ground

So your saying Hubble recommends using the traveling ground also?We have never used both grounds.You have to draw the line somewhere,2 @ the reel I believe is over doing it.This is my opinion,any one else care to elaborate?
    Birdog37: "Remember we're all on a journey in life, the only difference is, some people know it and some people don't."

Not sure what Hubble recommends, but this is the only way we would do it. The bigger job is getting the trailer on the mat and anchored and installing the outer fence. Once we have everything set up at the wire end, the pulling end is not waiting while we put on the travelling ground, always at least 2 guys at the wire end.

We use a traveling ground as well as grounding the tension rig, but have never grounded a roller or traveller as most of you all call them.

Featured Sponsorr

So you rely on the grounding at the tension machine to open the breaker if you have accidental contact with an energized conductor, do you use a mat? For us the grounding travellers at the first and last pole plus the grounded travellers near any energized conductor are meant to operate the breaker, all the grounding at the mat is to create an EPZ.