Thread: Just wondering

Default Just wondering

Featured Sponsor

I was reading the rodeo threads and looking at some photos,I couldnt help but noticing that they wear rubber gloves while hot sticking,tying in wire and such.Here we dont use rubbers while using hot sticks,or when we climb,theres no ground to ground while in buckets.The way I was taught,that was a big no-no,and I dont see it.........but how many companies or contractors have this as a rule?Sleeves arent used much in this area either,but ill guess that will change with all these accidents happening.

As far as rodeo's go I'm thinking that it's a requirement to wear rubber gloves during the rodeo. At my utility we don't have a ground to ground rule while climbing. You get within minimum approach distances you need gloves and sleeves. That's not to say each service center can't set their own rules to go above and beyond.

When it comes to using a stick as long as we maintain at least 6' of stick no gloves required; doing switching operations with a 10' shotgun--can wear leather gloves but need a headsock (balaclava) on. Actual hotsticking like tying/untying don't know, we don't do it.

Default huh

Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas View Post
    As far as rodeo's go I'm thinking that it's a requirement to wear rubber gloves during the rodeo. At my utility we don't have a ground to ground rule while climbing. You get within minimum approach distances you need gloves and sleeves. That's not to say each service center can't set their own rules to go above and beyond.

When it comes to using a stick as long as we maintain at least 6' of stick no gloves required; doing switching operations with a 10' shotgun--can wear leather gloves but need a headsock (balaclava) on. Actual hotsticking like tying/untying don't know, we don't do it.
    leather gloves,that would be a no/no here.

We are ground to ground if there is any energized conductor on the pole. We can use leather gloves for stick work as long as we are out of the restricted zone, but we have to wear rubber gloves for all switching & for installing & removing grounds. I have never had a pair of sleeves on & hopefully never will & as far as I know they are not even considering it up here.

Featured Sponsorr

Ground to ground rubber gloves are the rule in utilities in Ontario, most are rather sticky about it. HOne hasn't adopted it, yet. And yes hot stick with leather gloves, I wouldn't wear rubber gloves hot sticking unless it was raining, but, oh yeah, we don't have to work in the rain. I had to wear rubber sleeves when I worked in the US, just plain hated it. The strange thing was the company required it even when the line was grounded, and laying on the ground. It was a subsidiary of Asplundh