Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default just something to think about

Featured Sponsor

i read the article about grounds and backfeed,i guess when i was younger,i too was concerned about backfeed,but that really never came up much.although you must be aware of the possiblities,more often ive seen countless of times where a switch is open ,but its blades werent opened,such as a 480 volt meter installation,where the switch is before the meter,be aware,on alot of older types,30 or 40,maybe 50 yrs,inside they get rusty,never lubed,and one or more blades wont open or wont close.another time years ago a couple of lineman went on a downed wire,perhaps some #4 or # 2 primary down,the headlineman told the jy to go open the lateral,the jy comes back saying that the lateral was opened,,,lets just stop here for a sec.the lateral was opened but it was the lateral going the other direction,the headlineman didnt ground,and payed for that mistake with his life,they fired the jy,its a damn shame how that happened,but rememberthis,it takes years,to know and trust the other lineman you work with,his methods,habits and his craftmanship,always double check,or triple check,tag,lock,ground,whatever,but it takes a split second to lose your life if you dont use the tools we all are given and taught.

That's a good post.

That is indeed a good reminder that there is no reason not to take the time to test tag and ground and as mentioned double check behind others.

No matter what anyone tells me I'd always have a phasin set in my hands before I placed any grounds or jumpers on anything!

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    No matter what anyone tells me I'd always have a phasin set in my hands before I placed any grounds or jumpers on anything!
    I used to work with guys that I trusted wholeheartdley and I still buzzed the line prior to installing grounds, of course that was before we had a primary volt meter/ phase-tel on every bucket, that would either get you run off or worse nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I used to work with guys that I trusted wholeheartdley and I still buzzed the line prior to installing grounds, of course that was before we had a primary volt meter/ phase-tel on every bucket, that would either get you run off or worse nowadays.
    Yeah but sometimes you just can't help but reach for that screw driver if you're not feelin to trusty about your beat ol phasin set?

You wouldn't know of guys usin a strand from a fuse to bank secondaries together now would ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    Yeah but sometimes you just can't help but reach for that screw driver if you're not feelin to trusty about your beat ol phasin set?

You wouldn't know of guys usin a strand from a fuse to bank secondaries together now would ya?
    Their voltmeter must have been acting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Their voltmeter must have been acting up.
    Yeah, yeah that's it? Dam volt meters!

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Yup. Trusted My Guys "whole hartedly" too.
    But would STILL, ALWAYS, "fuzz" and ground. Protect your OWN ASS.

"SHIT...does happen".

In this trade..."Trust YOURSELF", when it comes to YOUR safety.
    Buzzing the line used to be an accepted practice, but a lot of company's would run you off their property if you did it instead of using a primary volt meter/ phase-tel, things have changed.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Somethin like that don't have Nothin to do with "Trust". I had a similar thing happen years back, but I Never "Trusted" in a situation like that.

Reached up with a shotgun, put my head down, and put a ground on. Burned the line down. "Mistakes" of "Trust" are completely unacceptable.
    How about testing the line with a tester before grounding it???just saying!!! that's how we do it on the UNION SIDE
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE