Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    When I was workin....5-6 years ago, it was a Normal day, to work 7.62/13.8 off the pole in backlots, with 30KV Gloves and sleeves...and...a shitload of Guts and cover.
    Was that in the companies work practices or procedures? I've seen you post this before and admittedly thought that was ridiculous but different companies different rules I guess?

Guess I don't understand your question Mike.

A backlot change out, of a simple, 3 Phase pole, with secondarys 7.62/13.8....Is that workin "Phase to Phase"?
    No, I'm just askin if glovin 7.6 off a pole was in the company rules that's all? If you were with a contractor did the host companies policies allow for this?

Don't believe anyone would work phase to phase I hope?

I'm a tinkin it's that way due to the maximum potential you could be exposed to. That's my best guess.

Work two phases at one time? If your quick enough to work in between cycles AND are lightning bolt certified, GET AFTER IT!

Yes Sir.
    Glovin 7.6KV off the pole Was in My company's workin Rules.

Interesting, we were employed, as a non union contractor, for Progress Energy, a union company. But, Florida is a "Right to Work" State.
    It's a "catch 22" man.

Florida is a Right to work state. I honestly don't know if the Progress boys Gloved 7.6 off the pole back then, but I'm pretty sure they Didn't. That's why we were contracted. They very rarely did "Backlot" work. Let alone with Gloves.
    Well I wasn't tryin to bring up the Union non thingy, just curious? Actually I tried that in someone else's thread but you didn't bight?

Anyway, there are some Union companies that do glove 7.6 off a pole or can anyway? Not all Unions make up the safety rules for their companies!

BTW, FOR THE REST OF YA, HOW THE HELL HAS THIS THREAD TURNED INTO A "WORKIN 2 PHASES AT A TIME" TOPIC?? MY OPINION, YOU'RE DUMB IF YA DO NOW DROP IT!!!

We are taught to glove 7200 off the pole here. I think you can glove 14.4 but it must be done off a baker board.

Don't know of anyone that actually gloves any 14.4 off the pole; did it once at a school...that was nothing more then just buzzing the line on that voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    Yeah I'm not askin if anyone works phase to phase, if ya do I don't wanna see it or be around you when you're doin it, but I'm askin if your glovin rule from a pole for instance is the phase to ground or phase to phase voltage? I never realized some areas consider the phase to phase voltage for their maximum voltage to glove?
    Guess I kind of see the confusion at least in this post, is your glovin rule referin to the MAXIMUM VOLTAGE you can glove the "phase to ground" voltage or "phase to phase?"

That help?

I think this is getting at whether phase to phase or phase to ground voltage determines a work method or class of gloves that you would use. For us the most we can work off the pole is 5 kv phase to phase so on a single phase line rated 8.3/4.8 we can not work it from the pole. The same for rubber gloving we can only wear our class 2 gloves on voltages up to 15 kv phase to phase even though you are only working 1 phase at a time, which I am sure is the norm everywhere & even though the phase to ground voltage is well below the test voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I think this is getting at whether phase to phase or phase to ground voltage determines a work method or class of gloves that you would use. For us the most we can work off the pole is 5 kv phase to phase so on a single phase line rated 8.3/4.8 we can not work it from the pole. The same for rubber gloving we can only wear our class 2 gloves on voltages up to 15 kv phase to phase even though you are only working 1 phase at a time, which I am sure is the norm everywhere & even though the phase to ground voltage is well below the test voltage.
    Thank you Lewy for clearin that up! But we can glove 14.4/24.9 from a bucket with class 2s? We have no other (except our class 0s) class glove! That's what I find interesting, how not all areas have the phase to phase rating instead of phase to ground?

Swamp, why would you have to wear class 3s that are rated at 26.5 for 7.6/13.2, was that for added safety?

What about companies that have 19.9, which class do they use? Anyone here work 19.9?

I see it that glove ratings are as "max use rating" so to me that's the maximum voltage on the conductor you are workin on? I wonder if companies are usin the phase to ground voltage to keep from havin to purchase higher rated gloves? I'd rather keep it that way cuz I could see companies just buyin the highest they would need and I sure wouldn't want to use thicker dam gloves for 4.8 or underground work!

Just curious!

20+ years ago we could glove up to 15kv. We have 7620/13.2 in town, and 12000/20.8 in our rural areas. We had to stick the 20.8. Our safety manual calculates the voltage Phase to Phase.
    The Safety manual changed, and we can glove up to 25kv. When it changed, we went from class 2 to class 3 gloves. Gloving in class 3 gloves suck!! But it is what it is!
    Even if we are on a single phase tap, with no chance of going Phase to Phase, we calculate the kv. by Phase to Phase voltage.

Featured Sponsorr

Our system included 34.5/19.9 and all we had was class 3 gloves.Had to wear them damn things to work on a streetlight circuit,.2300 delta, 2400/4160,7620/13.2 or the stuff they were designed for. No class 2's even though the most common voltage was 13.2/7620.Every thing we used was rated for the absolute highest voltage we would encounter.The troublemen were furnished class 0 gloves to work secondary.