Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Phase to phase or phase to ground?

Featured Sponsor

Which do you or your company use as a rating for things like gloving or sticking, phase to ground or phase to phase? We can glove 4.8/8320 off a pole because the phase to ground voltage is below 5k but I hear some policies use the phase to phase voltage thus being above 5k and don't allow it?
    Last edited by MI-Lineman; 09-11-2011 at 10:33 AM.

our policy is when the voltage betweene any two conductors is 5k

Phase to ground voltage. We would never work two phases at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Phase to ground voltage. We would never work two phases at one time.
    we wouldnt either but if the potential for phase to phase is there then we cant be over 5k.

No trained people would ever work 2 phases at the same time. Voltage rule? Always measured phase to phase as far as I know.

Our safety book refers to phase to phase voltage.

Ummmmmmm Itz rated for the highest voltage you could expose yerself to n thats Phase to phase.

Default Let me clarify

Before I retired we could work 5KV phase to ground, so you could do a buckarm transfer from the pole using sleeves and gloves on 4.8/8.32, But just before I retired there was a lot of talk about OSHA making everything you wern't working on within reach covered up.(not a bad practice but not always needed) All the 7.62/13.2 was worked from a bucket or diving board. 14.4/24.9 either worked with sticks or out of a bucket.

9. Default

Here in Ontario Canada according to EUSA rules, we rate everything for the nominal voltage so in the case of 4800/8kv even if it was a single phase line you would have to wear gloves rated for 8kv,in my opinion the reason for rating it for the 3 phase voltage is in case you accidentally went phase to phase.

Featured Sponsorr

Yeah I'm not askin if anyone works phase to phase, if ya do I don't wanna see it or be around you when you're doin it, but I'm askin if your glovin rule from a pole for instance is the phase to ground or phase to phase voltage? I never realized some areas consider the phase to phase voltage for their maximum voltage to glove?