Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Climbing Steel Poles

Featured Sponsor

I would like to know if any companies are setting steel poles that are not truck accessable. If you are, do you work them hot or dead? Does anybody know of any bakerboards that would work on steel poles.

ummmmm I assume yer talkin bout distribution stuff. Bout 8 yrs ago I attended a safety conference that included utilities from all over the south. I seem to remember some guys from round El Paso tellin me they had steel poles in alleys and were required to work em hot.They wernt to proud of either settin em in a hot line or workin em.
    But they are setting cement poles on transmission in places you will never get a truck to, unless its dragged in by a Cat or sumpin.Aint no steps on them babies either. Sho nuff had me wunderin what them folks waz smokin when they decided to do that.

I have seen some steel distrubution poles that had a bolt looking thing you had to install and use as steps, then when you came down you took them out to use on the next one. Looked like a pain in the ass and time consuming to boot. Give me wood and hooks.
    If you can build it you can fix it!

4. Default climbing steel poles

Yes I'm talking distribution poles. We do hot work and set steel poles hot with boom trucks,But now we are doing it off the poles and hand setting them in dead line.

Default I had

the job of changing an insulator on the distibution underbuild that was on a steel transmission pole. It had steel arms with it. Used every bit of covering I get up there. It was on the street so I could do it out of the bucket, but still didnt like it. I got a feelin your policy of settin em hot will change the first time ya drop a trunk feeder out ! I think Id be talkin to somebady about it for sure.

Koga

Quote Originally Posted by azlineman View Post
    Yes I'm talking distribution poles. We do hot work and set steel poles hot with boom trucks,But now we are doing it off the poles and hand setting them in dead line.
    Doing what, hot work? If your not using a bakerboard, what are you standing on, fastened too?

Uhhh. I hope its under 5kv .. rubber gloving off a pole above that OSHA will have a problem with that.

Yes here in central Texas we are setting steel poles in line hot and cold,working them hot and are stepped so they can be climbed but only stepped to the neutral??? Setting them in area you can't get to when wet????

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Yes here in central Texas we are setting steel poles in line hot and cold,working them hot and are stepped so they can be climbed but only stepped to the neutral??? Setting them in area you can't get to when wet????
    So, when you say working them hot, are you sticking from the steps?

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

When we have to climb them we kill the line. When we can get a truck to it we do it hot with sticks.