Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Small Wire Grips.

Featured Sponsor

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A SMALLER, LIGHTER VERSION OF A GUY-WIRE GRIP (MAYBE FITTING UP TO 1/0? ).THE COMCAST GUYS USE THEM IN MY AREA AND I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASK ANY OF THEM WHERE THEY GET EM..I'D LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE..IF ANYONE KNOWS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I'LL COVER SHIPPING COSTS OR WHATEVER, I JUST CANNOT FIND ONE AND I'D REALLY LIKE ONE AND I DON'T REALLY CARE IF ITS USED.
    *** P.S.****
    I'D LOVE TO GET JUST A SMALL GRIP IN GENERAL, EVEN IF IT ISN'T A GUY GRIP..I WANT SOMETHING THAT'LL FIT UP TO 1/0 AND DOESN'T SAG THE SH*T OUT OF THE WIRE WHEN I PUT IT ON . I SAY THIS BECAUSE WE HAVE A LOT OF #6 cu WHERE I WORK AND THERE IS NO POLICY ON WORKING IT CEPT' FOR BE CAREFUL.. SO I WAS WORKING ON SOME OF IT TODAY TAKING SLACK OUT ( 2 HEAVY GRIPS CUZ THATS ALL WE CARRY AND A HEAVY ASS JUMPER THAT ALMOST WEIGHED IT DOWN TO THE SECONDARIES), AND IT GOT ME THINKIN... WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO USE HOMEMADE JUMPERS SO THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE TO USE. SOMEONE ON HERE MUST HAVE A USED ONE OR KNOW WHERE TO SNAG ONE...THANX
    Last edited by freshjive; 03-28-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Ummmmm I maybe have 2 small ones. Bulldog style, purdy light, one has a bigger jaw than the other and would maybe fit #2 stranded. The other is gonna be restricted to # 4 stranded or smaller.would prolly work to string barbed wire.

If your working small copper wire I would recommend a small bulldog grip or a porkchop grip, I personally don't like to use a flat or wedge grip on copper, I think we get ours from American Safety but I'm not 100% sure, I'll try to check tomorrow.

Default grips

Klein makes grips for cu.wire only,check wire one of your suppliers,Halls safety,American safety,Far west line sp.out of Ca. has them.

A klein 20 grip would work on # 4 the smallest wire I have used. I would throw a bulldog grip in the garbage, not sure what a porkchop grip is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    "Bulldog Grip, or Porkchop Grip"...were always "Guy Grips" to me.
    They got "Teeth".
    NEVER was allowed to use them on Copper or ACSR...much Less AAAC. Chew the Hell out of the wire.

Copper or Aluminum...always just used the correct size "Flat Grip".

The "Bulldog, Porkchop" grip...to me at least, is in the middle here.
    The only thing I can think of off the top of my head for using a bulldog grip on so far is guy wire, we use flat grips for our conductors we use ACSR.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

I got me a tiny lil porkchop grip as well as a tiny wedge grip.. Both max size is about #4 sol. They come in handy with slack blocks for some of the old copper round here.

FWLSP.com would be a good place to start. Then Tallmans.

National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    A klein 20 grip would work on # 4 the smallest wire I have used. I would throw a bulldog grip in the garbage, not sure what a porkchop grip is though.
    Why would you throw a bulldog grip in the garbage? Have you had a bad experience with one? We have used bulldog grips on copper wire exclusively#6 to 4/0 and never had an issue, we use flat grips on aluminum #2str to 1192, also use flat grips on guy wire 3/8 and 1/2", they work ok if you keep the jaws wire brushed, always had better luck pulling or letting off tight guys with a pre-form. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Why would you throw a bulldog grip in the garbage? Have you had a bad experience with one? We have used bulldog grips on copper wire exclusively#6 to 4/0 and never had an issue, we use flat grips on aluminum #2str to 1192, also use flat grips on guy wire 3/8 and 1/2", they work ok if you keep the jaws wire brushed, always had better luck pulling or letting off tight guys with a pre-form. Maybe it's a regional thing.
    Same here? Always used bulldogs or "pork chops" on copper! Not on guys though!!! Mashes the wire down!