Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Cool Common sense

Featured Sponsor

I agree with Lineman North Florida. Just following basic safety rules and using some common sense would have prevented this tragic event(not ACCIDENT).I will never understand why it took so long to get them down,no excuse for that in my MHO.This was probably standard procedure for these lineman,shows lack of training and leadership. Sorry to be so harsh,I know in my 40 years in the trade i had my share of close calls due to taking shorts cuts or being in a hurry. I am retired now,but did work for Florida Power in the 80's,sent most of my career in the field,and thank all the old experienced lineman that trained me to work safe.
    Grumpy

2. Default New rules?

I recall reviewing our safety rules after a particularly bad period where several people had been injured.
    Every single accident report was studied to see if we needed to add any new rules. It was decided that if the current rules had been followed NO NEW RULES WERE REQUIRED.
    We don't need to always run to the rule book and add more rules.
    Just follow the one's we have they are tried and true.
    The Old Lineman

This article made me sick thinking about how long it took to get the guys off the pole there are a lot of questions that went through my mind on what happened like not knowing where to go to shut the line off, that should be among the first things you know about when you are working. Also if you dont know where to shut off power why not just throw up a ground set and blow the fuse at the very least? Sad story.

fatu part 2-worst article i have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by old lineman View Post
    Don't you dare give up Topgroove.
    We sorely need sensible, responsible , knowledgeable, common sense type people on this web site. If all of the sensible people give up because of the bull shit like Swampgas posts the whole web site might as well shut down.
    The bulk of the noise will always come from the mindless.
    If you can contribute something intelligent the silent or barely visible people who want valid information will be well advised.
    As someone once told me, "if you keep throwing shit on the wall some of it will stick".
    You never know when you'll help someone who needs it.
    As for the crap, think of it as stepping around rocks on the path. Nobody seems to want to throw them aside so ignore them.
    The Old Lineman
    thanks Old Lineman Your a good man and I've decided to take your advice.

Ummmmm I have also read Fatu part 2.It wasnt that bad at all. Seems like The foreman or the company wasnt too well respected by the crew,And he may have pushed a little too hard.But even though he may hafta share some of the blame,It would never have happened had they refused to work what they already identified as a bad job.I would be curious to know if this was a union job or not.Sure dont sound like one.And it should serve as a wake up call to those of you finding yourselves in a similar situation. There are some serious unanswered questions here........ why did it take so long to get them down if they had a qualified foreman and a grunt on the ground?

unfortunatly in alot of those outfits the guys that bring up issues are labled as troublemakers and run off.

While its probably true that they get labeled a troublemaker and run off Thats far better than getting dead or maimed. It takes a certain amount of Moxy to be a lineman of any kind. Show me a lineman who follows blindly and I'll show you an accident waiting to happen.

Default Wow

Featured Sponsorr

Hadn't got the mail in a while and found the latest mag in the pile the wife brought in.

Just got done reading the article you guys have been talking about and that was my final thought WOW!

I don't even know where to start.

It boggles my mind to read that article with warning after warning after warning popping off the page and yet no one involved with the situation, no one in the yard had any stones to stand up and say something.

As for the comments about working in the zone, they were interesting to say the least. I will agree that working in the zone takes an exceptionally high amount of concentration and at the end of the day I have been more mentally tired than physically.

I applaud Fatu for coming out an writing the article and giving us some very important background. I would like to see him go into geater detail of the fateful pole, prejob conversation, and events leading up to the incident.

C