Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Hybrid Bucket Trucks

Featured Sponsor

I'd like to know if anyone out there is using the International/Eaton Hybrid bucket trucks. Either with the Versa-Lift or the Altec booms. We have several in my area and they always seem to be having problems. It's mostly a hybrid issue where the pto will not engage, accessories not working, the transmission not going into gear, warning lites and buzzers going off for no apparent reason. When it occurs, it's always a trip back to the dealer for a couple of days or a week. The booms actually work fine. And that Eaton automatic transmission is certainly not an Allison. The lag time from pushing the accelerator down and having the computer figure out what it gear it should put the transmission in is annoying to say the least. Is anyone else having issues?

Sounds like electrical problems or the computer crashing. Are all the electrical connections staying dry? Have they used cheap connectors that are rusting?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

3. Default

It seems ours happen any time of the year. I've had mine for not quite a year and it's been down 20-30 days at least. I don't think they like cold, damp weather. They just seem to be overly sensitive and that's something that's not acceptable in Line work. And they cost close to 90K more than a conventional truck. I do like the International cab over my old GMC. There is a ton more room and since it's a Hybrid, you have to get the extended cab chassis. So I have plenty of room for my tools and rubber gloves. I use it as a one man trouble truck. But that old GMC was so reliable. I bet in the 10 years I had it and 180,000 miles, I may have been without it for no more than 1o days in those 10 years.

Default Can't wait

I can't answer your questions but it's nice to know we may have some problems ahead. We are waiting for delivery of six hybrid International's with the Eaton system. They will have 55 foot Altec's on them. I will let you guys know how we make out when we get some time in them.

5. Default

FINALLY got my truck back after 4 days at the dealer. I spoke with the tech and he couldn't find anything showing up on the computer. That's really the only way you can troubleshoot these things. Anyway I got the word that 4 new Non-Hybrids are on the way and I will get one of those and my Hybrid will go to the crews. SWEET!!!! Good Luck with those 55' models. Mine only averaged 6 mpg. When it was running.

6. Default

Well it did it to me AGAIN!!!! The Hybrid unit malfunctioned and it's back to the International dealer for repair. Looks like I'll be without it for another week or so. It worked fine when I parked it after working one day. Then the next time I started it, I knew right away something was wrong. The Hybrid warning lite came on, the hybrid cooling fan came on in 35 degree weather, and the Eaton transmission would only start off in 1st gear. Can I PLEASE have my old Faithful GMC back!!!!!!

7. Default

We just got a brand new international tandem bucket truck (less than 5k miles) and it's been back to the dealer twice for the dash lights flashing on and off/going crazy

we ahve one..It sux..No body likes it..It shuts off when your going up in the bucket and only restarts to charge the battery. In other words the truck runs on battery power..The one we have is 2 years old, and our mechanic needs class 0 gloves when working on it...The boom is fast, but it is very jumpy.

My son has 2, 2008 International 4300 Duramax trucks he bought in May of 2009. They are less than 3 years old and both have been in the shop more than 40 days since the purchase.

International refuses to give him any more warranty work even though they continue to replace the SAME parts over and over again. VERY VERY poor company. They are going to go bankrupt if they keep this up.

To be honest with you though it really isn't there fault.... it's the government mandates on emmissions that have their hands tied.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

We're told that we seem to be the only ones having issues, but I just can't believe that is the case. I've heard Florida Power or FPL has a lot of these things. Can anyone who works there give us all some feedback if you can? One of the trucks seems to have a mind of it's own. It has started by itself. Another time the auto-chains deployed as it was being driven. Anyway, I got mine back after a week at the International dealer. I would imagine those service techs are tired of seeing them coming into the lot with all of the problems. I doubt they are going away though. With the new government regs on diesel emissions, and idling time, this may be the wave of the future.