Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fall protection! Which one?

Featured Sponsor

After a recent accident of one of our young lineman which he fell 30 feet from a pole and suffered a broken leg.(he was lucky could have been worse) Our utility is going to set up all our lineman with fall protection on wood poles. I don't want to debate fall protection but ask some advise. Managment is letting us choose the devise. We had a demo of the buck squeeze and next week jelco and bashlin's pole lariat will be on our property to use and find out which one we want. It's tough getting a feel for these in such a short time and I know there are guys out there using them so any advise would be great.

Lightbulb I've heard .....

The company Sala (maker's of harnesses and other fall protection devices) has a new wood fall protection device that is "supposed" to be lighter and easier to use than the others. Have not seen it. Might check into it. Wish we weren't stuck with the Bucksqueeze's.
    Proud to be an IBEW (Utility) Journeyman Lineman; and d@mned proud to be an Army Lineman (12 quebec) and an Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran in the U.S. Army Reserve ...

Quote Originally Posted by watzamta View Post
    After a recent accident of one of our young lineman which he fell 30 feet from a pole and suffered a broken leg.(he was lucky could have been worse) Our utility is going to set up all our lineman with fall protection on wood poles. I don't want to debate fall protection but ask some advise. Managment is letting us choose the devise. We had a demo of the buck squeeze and next week jelco and bashlin's pole lariat will be on our property to use and find out which one we want. It's tough getting a feel for these in such a short time and I know there are guys out there using them so any advise would be great.
    It is good that they are giving you a choice, we had 2 choices & we chose the polechoker & we have not had any problems with it. This was our other choice http://www.poleshark.com/

Quote Originally Posted by watzamta View Post
    One of our guys had a pole lariat for about 2 months before the plastic breakaway hook looking handle broke. The thing looks like something you could make out of what's already on your truck. He likes it though.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    It is good that they are giving you a choice, we had 2 choices & we chose the polechoker & we have not had any problems with it. This was our other choice http://www.poleshark.com/
    Wow! Poleshark? Thats a winner After a small amount of reaserch it's hard to belive how much stuff is out there on the market. Thanks for the info we will see what next week brings.

Default Jelco 3

We were first issued the Jelco 4 three years ago, good for icy poles but nothing else. The jelco 3 is better as it does not have the spikes, and if you get used to it you can swing like a regular strap. Only problem is if pole is wet of frosty the jelco 3 slips. Other than that much easier than the buck squeeze and the pole shark, but a pain with open secondary and telephone.

Was forced into the Buck Squeeze in 08, retired in 09...have since gotten a Jelco...much better than the BS..............IMHO
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Thanks fellas. Just took a look at the jelco today and if we have to go to something I think it's got my vote. Just a shame it has got to come to this.

I know you guys have pine poles ect, but why not use pole steps?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
    I know you guys have pine poles ect, but why not use pole steps?
    Noooooooooooooooo

They are a major pain in the ass, when I climb some of the older poles with them I take them off.