Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: linework

Default linework

Featured Sponsor

What you as a foreman or a Journeymen lineman permit you promote as a type of practice when doing line work.

Default Birdy.

Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    What you as a foreman or a Journeymen lineman permit you promote as a type of practice when doing line work.
    Your question is so generic and non-specific I doubt if anybody will bother replying to it.

Try thinking a little about what you're asking. Learn a little about the trade before you ask such questions.

Wait until you get out of high school.

Default I took it as

a statement. What we do and what we allow those around us to do is what becomes common work practices. Sort of a monkey see monkey do type of thing.

Default Okay.

You answer it then.

Default Well..

As I said, I took it as a statement, how do you answer a statement?

Default Okay.

I see what you mean. However it still seems sorta strange to me.

Almost thought of it as a question when I first read it. It's not stating anything that's not obvious though if you've done this work awhile. Could apply to any kind of work however.

7. Default

I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist at times but my guess is that birdog37 is on a company negotiating committee and is looking for random input in regards to common work practices. The deliberate poor grammer is to make us think he/she is as dumb as he/she thinks we are. Just a thought...

Default You may be right

With the single post and the date he/she joined. I like the "Birddog" moniker maybe that's a dead give away as well.

A straight up question would be better than trying to beat around the bush b.s.ing us.

Default "What you permit you promote"

Quote Originally Posted by cololinehand View Post
    With the single post and the date he/she joined. I like the "Birddog" moniker maybe that's a dead give away as well.

A straight up question would be better than trying to beat around the bush b.s.ing us.
    It was merely a quote.After doing line work for 17 years and making a mistake in witch i crossed contracts to raise my kid in a small community (where my wife graduated) i come to learn the hard way that line work is not done the same way where ever you go.Im talking about following safety rules not interpreting them so you can take short cuts.Simple things like not touching a phase and a ground at the same time when rubber gloving,putting breakers on one shot if you come in contact with a hot phase while rubber gloving,putting your rubber gloves on when something is not grounded,like installing a squirrel guard.If you open a fuse and the secondaries are still in on the low side you would think any trained journeyman would think generator.This is so not true because of the permit you promote training a foreman of 39 years has taught another lineman on the crew i use to work for.The first day with these guys the other journeyman on this crew (there was 3 of us foreman and 2 journeyman)we had a phase on the ground at the take off three phase line where it was dead ended.It went 2 a single customer 5 spans away.The journeyman in the bucket was not going to where his R. gloves.I told him can't you hear the generator running and he just looked at me like what are you talking about its laying on the ground.He actually thinks its ok since his foreman taught him this practice.He did wear his gloves because i made him but at the same time he was dead ending the line he was very careless bumping it with his exposed arms.I knew i was in for a long haul and should of got out but my senority would not allow me to because i lost it all.Grounding threw breakers,not working between grounds,using an amp meter to test if a line is dead,having a bell cut in a line is good enough to work on dead ending a line to a new structure.Quite frankly i seen a lot of b.s. and the company chose to get rid of me because it would be easier than retrain the other two.The union was involved from the get go on these issues.They said it was a company training problem.So much for joint apprentice training committees.Its not hard to believe why there are so many deaths and flash burns in this line of work.My foreman told me one time all you had to do is like everyone else birdog37 and you would of blended in.I told this to management and nothing was done.My former foreman also said to several lineman and foreman once while we were sitting in the lunch room ya know the safety rules are made to cover the company's ass. He is so wrong and needs a rude awakening.They were wrote in other linemans blood for the most part.He must of missed that part in his apprenticeship.(What apprenticship?)
    So what you permit you promote!Remember that when you are the second man on the ground watching someone doing something wrong are you going to permit it? The hardest part for me to except is that is what i was merely doing and the company found a way to fire me.Even the union would not grieve it.
    All i was trying to do is change people into doing what was right and now Im looking for a job.It's going on three months,and i know it's not christian like but i pray that this comes back to bite this crew in the ass! Somehow the lord will make it right.He always does. Birdog37

Default Birdog.

Featured Sponsorr

If you are sure you were unfairly discharged, at least contact an attorney familiar with labor laws. Sometimes even some states have laws covering an unfair situation. Doesn't matter if it was Union or not. Some locals are brother-in-law outfits. One thing you might have in your favor is if it's safety related. That is usually your best avenue.

I worked for more than 7 years with a 4 man crew that operated like that. I simply looked after #1 at all times. I lost track of the times we put primary neutrals back together with the line still energized. There I'd be with my rubbers on and those 3 loons with their leathers on. They never got bit as far as I knew. God protects fools I guess.