Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: linework

Hybrid View

Default linework

What you as a foreman or a Journeymen lineman permit you promote as a type of practice when doing line work.

Default Birdy.

Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    What you as a foreman or a Journeymen lineman permit you promote as a type of practice when doing line work.
    Your question is so generic and non-specific I doubt if anybody will bother replying to it.

Try thinking a little about what you're asking. Learn a little about the trade before you ask such questions.

Wait until you get out of high school.

Default I took it as

a statement. What we do and what we allow those around us to do is what becomes common work practices. Sort of a monkey see monkey do type of thing.

Default Okay.

You answer it then.

Default Well..

As I said, I took it as a statement, how do you answer a statement?

Default Okay.

I see what you mean. However it still seems sorta strange to me.

Almost thought of it as a question when I first read it. It's not stating anything that's not obvious though if you've done this work awhile. Could apply to any kind of work however.

Default Safety VS> Loons

In this industry it is hard for me to stand back and watch someone work stupid.In the last 6 months our local has experienced near misses that are unexcuseable.I stand corrected,its not our local anymore because i was terminated,but when you have personal going up in the air fuzzing a line with the neutral laying on the bucket and wearing just there leather gloves something is way wrong!Working on URD that have tubs not isolated,hold carded or not even grounded to me just makes no sense.
    The hardest thing to do is to try and change, a journeyman into to doing something the right way after he's been doing it wrong for so long.Protecting yourself i can see but if someone gets killed your probably going to be disciplined or terminated too.So what do you do? I know its too late for me now but what about any other lineman out there that are facing the same situation that you and i did.Like i said i went to the local 1st.They said its a company training problem.I say it's the foreman and lineman that pass these apprentices threw to the next level.Remember your not doing them any favors,or there spouses.Worst yet he's the guy that could be on the ground watching you when your having a brain fart.Do you really want to pass someone like that threw.Ask your self that next time when you have a border line apprentice buying you coffee to get on your good side.After he buys it tell him him should be looking for another job because it's a whole lot better telling him this now than going to his funeral! I've lost many nights of sleep over me being fired but at the same time i lost many nights sleep over watching loons do line work.
    I do sleep better now but it dont pay my bills.I do have an interview next week but how do you explain why you were fired if it comes up?Even after i've been fired this is still haunting me.It's just not right passing these flunkes threw.Other Journeyman deserve better than this too.

Quote Originally Posted by birdog37 View Post
    In this industry it is hard for me to stand back and watch someone work stupid.In the last 6 months our local has experienced near misses that are unexcuseable.I stand corrected,its not our local anymore because i was terminated,but when you have personal going up in the air fuzzing a line with the neutral laying on the bucket and wearing just there leather gloves something is way wrong!Working on URD that have tubs not isolated,hold carded or not even grounded to me just makes no sense.
    The hardest thing to do is to try and change, a journeyman into to doing something the right way after he's been doing it wrong for so long.Protecting yourself i can see but if someone gets killed your probably going to be disciplined or terminated too.So what do you do? I know its too late for me now but what about any other lineman out there that are facing the same situation that you and i did.Like i said i went to the local 1st.They said its a company training problem.I say it's the foreman and lineman that pass these apprentices threw to the next level.Remember your not doing them any favors,or there spouses.Worst yet he's the guy that could be on the ground watching you when your having a brain fart.Do you really want to pass someone like that threw.Ask your self that next time when you have a border line apprentice buying you coffee to get on your good side.After he buys it tell him him should be looking for another job because it's a whole lot better telling him this now than going to his funeral! I've lost many nights of sleep over me being fired but at the same time i lost many nights sleep over watching loons do line work.
    I do sleep better now but it dont pay my bills.I do have an interview next week but how do you explain why you were fired if it comes up?Even after i've been fired this is still haunting me.It's just not right passing these flunkes threw.Other Journeyman deserve better than this too.
    I still don't see anything about you seekin legal advice? If your Union failed to "represent" you then go after them!

As for dealin with "loons" I'm not the most well liked individual (mainly from the inexperienced crew leaders and stupers!) when it comes to work because I refuse to let anyone tell me to violate a safety rule or have a "one county boomer" tell me how to do somethin I've already done many a time differently! I'm not afraid of standin up to so called "crew leaders" and the company when it comes to safety and I dam sure have NO problem addressin issues brought up by any one includin apps!

Sure I've skimped on a rule here and there, I don't claim to be perfect, but I try hard to follow the rules set forth to protect me and my co-workers AND I NEVER IMPOSE ONLY SUGGEST WAYS TO DO SOMETHIN ON SOMEONE ELSE! I ONLY BELIEVE IN PUTTIN MY FOOT DOWN WHEN IT COMES TO SAFETY!! Other than that if ya got a different way just as safe or your way takes longer but is safe then have at it! As long as it gets done and everyones still standin I really care less how quick you are!

Sorry you had to go through this but I am glad to hear of someone who refuses to cave in when it comes to safety even if it means your job! I know this don't help much but good for you! Wish we could get a few more hands as yourself here!

Unhappy "Legal advice"

Still waiting to hear back from OSHA.Legally I had an attorney take a sworn statement from the International labor relations board.Things are still in the process.I did have an attorney represent me.He claims i live in a state that as a worker you have no rights.The Ibew International representative went to talk to the business manager and he told me that the man is just a very opinionated person and that if nothing else he should file a grievance for the good of the local.I talked with this rep after he met with the B. manager and he said he would not budge.I then asked him what i should do and he said to go to the national labor relations board (off the record thou he said) that is where it stands.You know how attorneys are they fart and want money.Anyone i talk to says i got the shaft.
    As for safety,i know what your saying about getting the job done.Im all for what ever way you want to do it as long as its safe to do,and somewhat efficient. Same result in the end but when you have lineman that do things that are unacceptable as a practice you just have to say something because you may get disciplined yourself or fired for letting it happen.Im not a stickler on piddly things like a cone in front of your truck when your at a gas station but if your going to work on a line thats not grounded,test for voltage with an amp meter,ground threw a breaker with no visible open,touch a capacitor with out grounding,
    take a crossarm off when your racking out a 3 phase line and leaving the center phase in and hot (7200) and not wearing at least your rubber gloves Im going to say something to you.This is just to name a few things that have occurred while i worked with these guys.They just didn"t want to hear it from me.Then when a manager got involved he said when the safety violation occurs tell the foreman right away.Well if you tell somebody once why should you have to keep bringing it up over and over or better yet now we don't need to do it because ass.ole is not here.I just wish i could of bid out before they fired me.The day they terminated me a job i bid on came off the board which was my old job.I would have lost my seniority again by crossing contracts but a least i would have a job.Thanks for listening and any advice , Birdog37.

Default Try.

Try to find a lawyer with a proven track record in Labor relations and disputes.

If you have plenty of documentation and a good lawyer you might get a shot. Keep in mind that one of the co's tactics is to starve you out. No job, no insurance etc. will make it tough for you.

If you have a ticket get to calling all the locals you can. Basically find a job anywhere you can. Maybe unemployment will help you. Some states will deny unemployment depending upon your dismissal.