Default Transmission bucket trucks

Featured Sponsor

My utility is looking at purchasing 1 or 2 new bucket trucks for our highline work. Probably 1 in the 100 foot range and the other in the 125 foot range. What are you guys using? What do you like/dislike? Whats out there?

We currently have an Altec double elevator truck that we will be getting rid of. We have looked at 2 Altecs with one being a single elevator and the upper boom has a squirt out section. The other one was a double squirt out (one lower boom and one upper boom squirt out sections). We liked the double squirt but are concerned about the fiber optic controls reliability due to issues we have had on our other fiber optic controlled equipment.

What are your thoughts.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Default Transmission buckets

Well we just bought two of the later you mentioned. Ours are made by Terex however I have seen the same boom down to the nuts and bolts with an Altec name on it. Go figure. They are on steel cleated tracks and tip the scales at about 60 thousand lbs. Big, heavy and powerful. They are both 105 foot reach. The only grip we have with them is the four AA batteries that run the controls. Kinda cheesey for the amount of money you pay for them. We haven't had any problems with the fiber optics except for the batteries. When they get low the boom may go in the oposite direction you ask it. They seem to be worse in the cold weather as battery life is shortened greatly. The double squirt is the way to go, we had an elevator squirt combo and the frame on the machine didn't hold up. Welds cracked one after the other. Even after fishplate repairs. Only had them about a year but no major problems. Oh ours came with a metal basket insert and moisture meter for barehand work but we have never used it. Hope that helps.

Default Shop till you drop - All good stuff

105' Working Height
    Terex TM105 Track Bucket
    '09 Prinoth GT3000HY, CAT diesel,
    2,000lbs material handler, hyd jib and
    winch, 2-man 800lbs cap bucket.

http://www.nescosales.com/bucket-trucks-81-178-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by watzamta View Post
    The only gripe we have with them is the four AA batteries that run the controls. Kinda cheesey for the amount of money you pay for them. We haven't had any problems with the fiber optics except for the batteries. When they get low the boom may go in the oposite direction you ask it. They seem to be worse in the cold weather as battery life is shortened greatly.
    That does sound a bit cheesy. I'm not keen on the idea of a boom going in the wrong direction (or potentially other random stuff) when the battery is low. Is there a low battery indicator?

Many batteries have issues with extreme cold since it affects the electrolyte and their ability to supply current. It's best to use good quality Alkaline cells.

Quote Originally Posted by CPOPE View Post

105' Working Height
    Terex TM105 Track Bucket
    '09 Prinoth GT3000HY, CAT diesel,
    2,000lbs material handler, hyd jib and
    winch, 2-man 800lbs cap bucket.

http://www.nescosales.com/bucket-trucks-81-178-1.htm
    I wouldn't want that style of riggers on a flex track. With the scissor style you can have the out rigger pads tied to them. Last fall we had a flex in water above the deck and with the style that is showing there would be no way of padding them. Now if that bucket was mounted on a rubber tire truck...yes.

Got to agree with Batts for once. Condor and Bronto make great lifts. Worked all last winter in a 180ft Bronto. Had a 4x8 platform with a jib.
    Were you born that stupid, or did you really get that much practice in?

if it was any of your business you would know

Default I like baskets too

Especially if they have a service winch built on the unit someplace.
    We ran a couple of those double elevator, squirt boom Altecs... and they were just to shakey at full extention.

A big basket... you can fill those up with travelers and almost have room to stand ..

Default Yeah.

Basket is the only way to go. Don't know why people would want a cramped bucket for transmission.

I couldn't stand those separate buckets some liked on distribution. At least get a walk thru.

9. Default

We had condor bring that same truck out in the picture and man we were gald it came with an engineer. It was a very stable truck but really slow. I believe it had a 2200lb platform capacity which is good. It needs a few changes to make it a good line truck for transmission work.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Highplains Drifter View Post
    I wouldn't want that style of riggers on a flex track. With the scissor style you can have the out rigger pads tied to them. Last fall we had a flex in water above the deck and with the style that is showing there would be no way of padding them. Now if that bucket was mounted on a rubber tire truck...yes.

You can not use crane buckets all the time.