Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Grounding

Featured Sponsor

Only our diggers when using them in the primary including when attached to pulling equipment! Anything attached to the truck has to be "bonded" to it! Plus when pulling wire we barricade the cart or tugger and the truck.

Never heard of a trouble truck needing to be grounded? I believe DTE grounds their buckets on their 13.2?

static construction would purdy much make that impossible. I just used a long stick to refuse a pot. What possible good would grounding the truck do? Pike does some silly stuff like the ruber booties, and the rubber gloves when using a stick from the ground. I once watched em place so many grounds on a 3 pot step down bank that they couldnt get to to bad pot to change it out.

3. Default Seperate the truck from the puller/tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    Only our diggers when using them in the primary including when attached to pulling equipment! Anything attached to the truck has to be "bonded" to it! Plus when pulling wire we barricade the cart or tugger and the truck.

Never heard of a trouble truck needing to be grounded? I believe DTE grounds their buckets on their 13.2?

Why not disconnect the pintle and pull your truck ahead a short space then install web sling between the two and move ahead again to tighten it up.
    If you don't trust the web fabric insert an epoxy strain deadend insulator with the web sling.
    This way there is no need to barricade the truck. Lots of time saved through elimination of the hazard. Elimination is always the first choice.
    The Old Lineman

4. Default Being selective about which trucks to ground

Grounding trucks is a common practice, however, no one wants to have the thinking and decision making process taken away.
    Blanket grounding of every truck is dumbing down. Linemen hate that!
    Thats akin to wearing safety glasses in the office.
    Aerial devices with lower boom inserts and small trouble trucks don't need to be grounded.
    The exception is an aerial device where the lower boom insert is shunted out for current leakage testing during high voltage work and bare handing.
    The Old Lineman

Our provincial rule book calls for all trucks to be grounded when in the air, with the exception of bucket trucks having a lower insert, or as the old lineman said for doing a current leakage test, which for us is barehanding or anything over 15 kv phase to phase. After the leakage test you would remove the lower insert shunt & then for rubber glove work you would not need the truck ground.
    I also think if you are working on a grounded line & you stick a RBD into the air it should be grounded.
    I remember a video we had in first year line school of a Hydro One lineman who lost his hands from touching the side of a grounded RBD at the same time as the operator bumped the pole causing the phase to land on the boom.
    As far as using a truck as an anchor for tension stringing we also us a link stick between the truck & the puller.

I never had to ground my bucket truck to the system neutral until i came to work for pike for the first time back in 1991. We did not have to put it on with a shot-gun just with your rubber gloves. Well i hung the truck ground on the yellow hook of my tool board and and went up to cover the neutral and forgot about the ground hanging on the hook and went up to cover primary and started hearing sounds like the primary was getting together but it was not real loud and a was looking around and then looked down in front of my bucket and seen the truck ground laying against the primary but was'nt really raising any hell. So i backed off the primary with the bucket and threw the f-ing cable down to the ground and never took it up with me again, whether pike liked it or not. It caught the grass on fire around the out-riggers and never screwed the truck up and to this day i am so thankful that no-one was touching the truck but everyone had over-shoes on and i still wonder if the over-shoes would have saved some-ones life.

Quote Originally Posted by old lineman View Post
    Why not disconnect the pintle and pull your truck ahead a short space then install web sling between the two and move ahead again to tighten it up.
    If you don't trust the web fabric insert an epoxy strain deadend insulator with the web sling.
    This way there is no need to barricade the truck. Lots of time saved through elimination of the hazard. Elimination is always the first choice.
    The Old Lineman
    Yeah I hear ya! Why not train line hands to "properly" climb poles and eliminate the "Wood Pole Fall Restraint?" Company policy that's why! Nothin more than pencil pushers makin our rules. Just replyin "company policy" to Swamps thread!

Good ideas though! Just wouldn't pass here?

One company around here was so bad at placing the truck ground on the primary that they came up with the policy of sending up the ground on the handline and installing it with a shotgun. Again, lets just by-pass proper training and cull the ones who cant cut it and just come up with another rule so any idiot can do the work.
    Were you born that stupid, or did you really get that much practice in?

Quote Originally Posted by SBatts View Post
    Where you from hambone? you ain't that X-marine that tangled with this old man that dropped you like a hot rock on that OK 345 are you??
    no i am not him but i am realizing that there are alot of other people out there with the same nickname.

Featured Sponsorr

When you do ground your truck do you completely unwind the ground? There is a video out there that shows what happens when you do not, pretty violent.