Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: poly insulators

Default poly insulators

Featured Sponsor

guys our system is getting into using 15kv poly cross arm insulators on our 7200 and i am just curious how they are holding up for the systems that have had them for awhile. thanks

These are all we use, real easy to work with rubber glove or stick.

http://www.k-line.net/catalogue/1.2%...ber%202008.pdf

I prefer poly. With the style we use we do not need tie wire, the clamp will go down to #4 & as large as 556 probably larger. Much easier to tie in with sticks if you do not rubber glove.

Damn I miss those insulators.... we had them for about a year but they were too expensive so Grid switched to the ones kooman linked. All the ones we installed have held up fine even after ten years.

We never built any new lines with them, but they were in the storeroom......we used them mainly in areas where the hunters liked to use the porcelain insulators for target practice

Supposedly they can take a hit or several from high powered rifles and not breakdown, although I have seen a few that had bullet holes in the skirts and where still good, not breaking down..........

I don't think that they even have any porcelain bells in the storerooms anymore........all poly now!

Am talking about the ones Kooman linked...not the K-line, never used them....
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Default polys

the hydro board in scotland (now SSE) started using these on towers in 1982
    most other boards in the UK soon followed suit .by the late 90's all boards
    in the uk were using them on the smaller voltage stuff
    engineers aren,t god,s

thanks for the feedback guys, we have used poly dead end bells for many years and i like them alot but they are more of a rubber type and the new pin insulators are more of a hard plastic. i was just curious how they hold up to the nebraska winters when the 4/0 has 1/4" of ice and the wind picks up. im sure they are a very good product but you know how us "old bastards" are, we fear change.

If they can survive a buffalo winter they can survive anything. The true test will be how they survive 20 years of UV light. 20 years seams like a long time but when your talking distribution hard wear its not long at all. We try and build for 100 years. Did they tell you for bare wire use bare tiewire and for covered PE use covered tiewire.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    If they can survive a buffalo winter they can survive anything. The true test will be how they survive 20 years of UV light. 20 years seams like a long time but when your talking distribution hard wear its not long at all. We try and build for 100 years. Did they tell you for bare wire use bare tiewire and for covered PE use covered tiewire.
    most of our line is built with rodded acsr and preformed ties, when we neet to tie in coated we use coated ties.