Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Actually, this is kind of funny...here's a kid that JUST TOPPED OUT in another state and that believes, or thinks that he's going to California to get a job foreman by name!!! What a moron!!! I love the fact that somebody with an over inflated ego is going to make the trip wasting nothing more than time and gas to come out here only to get shot down!!!

ROLMAO!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Holsapple View Post
    He better hope he gets a strong lineman to carry him.
    Isn't that the truth! In a way, I think this downturn was one of the best things to happen to our industry. Every once in awhile, new blood needs to float to the top. Not exactly like in this case but some of the best lineman are...actual linemen and not foremen.

Once the economy took a dump, I saw contractors cut the fat...their star linemen! Then downgraded foremen to linemen...foremen who haven't seen a bucket in years. I guess we all know how that turned out Massive snowball effect of failure.

Well of course these linemen found their way onto the books first, became foremen/lineman for competing contractors and are now currently embarrassing the old sheriffs in town.

That's why I love this trade. Your apprentice could be your boss one day. Show everyone respect and you have nothing to worry about. I know some only now learning the hard way, a very very hard lesson.

Now I've had some exceptional lineman and I always made sure to give them credit on the paperwork even when there was no place to put it. I think that is important. I just wouldn't feel right bringing in a project days or weeks under schedule and only having my name on the file...just isn't right. I suppose that's why I can travel anywhere I want and hired without hesitation

I always like to work in my bucket time just to make sure I still have it. On the flip side, I've seen fellow foremen have their ego blown out to massive proportions by their lineman. There are golden linemen out there that will bring project after project in under schedule without fail...often way under schedule. These linemen make up maybe 2-5% of the population. Put rookie with one of these and he thinks foreman is the easiest thing in the world. And it is all but cruise control...it really is. But in reality, most lineman are average, most work average paces, and make average time consuming mistakes.

I watched more than one world crumble when the lineman left. And I've heard more than once "The hall keeps on sending me idiots." Really, I understand one or two but five kid? Only one thing in common here...

A lineman that can work at a pace that gives you a safety net of time is a breath of fresh air but this is not reality. I've watch a lot of incompetence covered up only for it to finally meet it's maker in this downturn.
    Last edited by bones; 08-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.

You gotta be book 1 to be called out by name...you got love those guys that topout and want a skin spot but that goes on alot out here I think it should be a rule for every local if somebody has not been topped out atleast 5 years they can't be a Forman
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

I dont want to argue right or wrong, but down here in 47 they call foreman by name off book 2 I have seen it happen several times. They may not in 1245 but they do here.

They can not take your hours away from you, so they can call a foreman by name off of BookII......They can make all the hoops they want for BookI eligibility.....

6. Default

not sure if it matters to all you older hands but some of us us younger hands still respect the old ways you guys used to have. thats why i will not take a foreman job for atleast 5 yrs and a gf for atleast another 5 after that. my reputataion with my brothers is way more valuable then a couple more dollars on the paycheck or some powertrip . plus i know that i dont want someones blood on my hands because i got cocky. just thought you would like to know that all hope is not lost with us younger lineman.

I don't know about 47 I try to say out of there I don't like the local or the reps but it doesn't suprise me down there but at 1245 you have to be book 1...but in this case it wouldn't matter cause the guy just topped
    out so he wouldn't have 2000 hours in the local
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

8. Default

i would to say that " if someone went out of their way to call him off the books he is a good hand" bu we all know that is not the case. but if he is from albat like you say then good luck to him. like one of you said "he will need a good JL to carry him. the specs are night and day from all of albat jursidiction to cali. so if he gets a new tramp (good or bad) he will have fun figuring out the system.
    Buy american made & when possible buy union made

born in raised in Ohio, Lineman on the road in California and wherever storms take me

Sounds like he will learn a lot about how the books work. Hopefully he will ride the books out and take a lineman call and see how life on the road really is. I am from albat's area but went through mountain states and am now in 1245's area working. I have not been home for work in over four years now.

Like many have said: good to great lineman can make a foreman look like an all star. If he really does get his foreman spot he thinks is coming his way I hope no one gets hurt but that he will not get an ace or two from the hall to carry him

Cool Rookie Boss

Featured Sponsorr

Nothing surprises me anymore,glad I am retired! Probably can not do the work so they made him a foreman.
    Grumpy